Application Deadline: May 31st 2017
Since 2011, the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the BMW Group have engaged in a historic partnership geared towards creating a new model for collaboration between the private sector and the UN system. Together, they have established the BMW Group Award for Intercultural Innovation, in support of the Alliance of Civilizations, under the auspices of the United Nations (otherwise known as The Intercultural Innovation Award), whose mandate is to select highly innovative grassroots projects that promote intercultural dialogue and understanding, making vital contributions to prosperity and peace.
With the objective of “helping people to help themselves,”both UNAOC and BMW Group mobilize their resources, time and networks to support the awardees. This new model of collaboration between the UN and the private sector creates deeper impact, as both partners provide their respective expertise to ensure the sustainable growth of each project.
ORGANIZATIONS’ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Be registered as a non-for-profit organization such as a non-governmental organization, charitable organization, research and educational institution, labor union, indigenous group, faith-based organization, professional association, foundation and local or municipal branches of government.
Length of operationApplying organizations must have been operational for a minimum of 2 years before April 2017; with funding base and project implementation (i.e. the organizationmust show registration as non-profit in their country of operation by April 2015 or earlier).
Field of actionEligible to apply for the Intercultural Innovation Award are not-for-profit organizations managing projects focused on promoting intercultural dialogue and understanding
Awardees will receive a monetary prize to be used for project expansion and/or replication of their project. The total amount of the prize pool is USD 100,500 distributed as follows:
- 1st USD 40,000
- 2nd USD 20,000
- 3rd USD 15,000
- 4th USD 8,000
- 5th USD 5,000
- 6th–10th USD 2,500
TRAINING AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- In order to increase the effectiveness of awarded organizations in their work to expand or replicate their project, UNAOC and BMW Group have developed an Intercultural Innovation Award training and capacity building program.
CUSTOMIZED SUPPORT AND MENTORING
- Awardees will draw from one-year active support and consulting from UNAOC and the BMW Group in order to help them to become more efficient and to expand, as well as enable their transfer to other contexts or settings where relevant.
RECOGNITION AND VISIBILITY
- Awarded organizations will be invited to participate in the Global Forum of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations attended by hundreds of Heads of States, ministers, media and civil society organizations (see a video of the Intercultural Innovation Awards
NTERCULTURAL LEADERS MEMBERSHIP
- Awardees will become members of “Intercultural Leaders”, a project of UNAOC in partnership with the BMW Group.
- The pre-selection committee will select a shortlist of a maximum of 50 applicants. Short-listed applicants will be required to provide further documentation including a detailed budget and a detailed activity plan of the project (using templates to be provided).
An international jury composed of renowned scholars, experts, and members
of the BMW Group and UNAOC will evaluate short-listed applications.
Short-listed applicants will be interviewed.
The final results (i.e. ranking of finalists) will be announced during the
Intercultural Innovation Awards Ceremony.
For More Information: