Application Deadline: November 30, 2023
The Program on Conflict and Development (ConDev) at Texas A&M University is accepting applications for its annual Student Media Grant Program, offering Aggies and others an opportunity to highlight the human stories behind major global issues. This year (2023-2024) ConDev is cooperating with the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management and Tourism, to focus on the role that hospitality and tourism plays in the mediation of conflict worldwide.
Since 2013, program participants have used photos, interviews and other means to document world events depicting the intersection of conflict and development. This year we ask the question, “How has hospitality and tourism supported peace building”. These grants are funded by Texas A&M’s Howard G. Buffett Foundation Endowed Chair on Conflict and Development.
- The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at any accredited university worldwide. Students graduating in 2023 are also eligible to apply.
- Those selected for the program will receive up to $5,000 to travel to any location they choose, domestic or international, as long as they secure proper approval from their university and any other relevant entities.
- Each grant winner is expected to spend a minimum of two months during 2024 engaged in and documenting through photography and associated written or verbal commentary an issue that reflects the challenges faced by fragile and conflict-affected nations through the lens of tourism and/or hospitality.
- During their experience focused on hospitality and tourism, students will be expected to:
- Demonstrate a two-month minimum engagement within their chosen problem focus through extension activities, public service, internships, student research, or other pursuits;
- Create a photo-journalism deliverables for ConDev’s social media and/or website and document their chosen subjects through photo, video, radio or some other form of media that draws attention to the role of hospitality and tourism to conflict and development issues;
- Publish or exhibit their work in a form of refereed media.
- October 1, 2023: Begin Accepting Application
- November 30, 2023 (due by 11:59 pm CST, USA time): Application Deadline
- December 2023: Review Period – please be patient as we review your incredible proposals!
- January 7-23, 2024: Notification Period
- February-May 2024 (Depending on proposal timeline): Funding Disbursement
For More Information: