Application Deadline: 18 January 2024
TSL want to hear students’ own views on how they feel that nature can support the achievement of the SDGs in their own communities. Students are invited to approach the topic however they wish. They can choose to focus on one SDG, or multiple SDGs that they feel are a key issue within their communities and explore how nature could help to improve the situation. They are strongly encouraged to include their own personal views, perspectives and experiences to help bring their thoughts and visions alive.
Each student is invited to submit one essay in English, on the theme of: “How can nature help us achieve the UN SDGs in my community?”
The essay length varies by age as follows:
- Primary students (ages 7-11): 400 words
- Secondary and College students (ages 12-18): 600 words
Minimum requirement to include in bibliography:
- Name and version of the generative AI system used; e.g. ChatGPT-3.5
- Publisher (company that made the AI system); e.g. OpenAI
- URL of the AI system.
- Brief description (single sentence) of context in which the tool was used.
- The prompt(s) used to generate a response in the AI system.
For example: I acknowledge the use of ChatGPT 3.5 (Open AI, https://chat.openai.com) to summarise my initial notes and to proofread my final draft.
One overall Grand Prize Winner will receive a trophy and a cash prize of £1000 and £500 for their school, with one Runner Up receiving a trophy and a cash prize of £500 and £250 for their school (cash prizes paid in local currency). All participating Teacher Champions, Essay Finalists & Honourable Mentions, and International Debate participants, will receive personalised e-certificates.
- 08 September 2023TSL 2024 Essay Competition Launch – NATURE-BASED SOLUTIONS. Registration open for Teacher Champions/Schools to participate in TSL 2024 Essay Competition.
- 18 January 2024Final deadline for essay entries.
- 14 March 2024Announcement of International Essay Competition Finalists & Honourable Mentions on TSL websites.
- 18 April 2024Top Ten Finalists from Primary and Secondary categories notified via Teacher Champion.
- 18-22 AprilInvitations to participate in the International Student Debates sent to eligible students via their Teacher Champion.
- 14 March – 31 July 2024Country Debates.
- Summer 2024International Schools Debate & Awards (online) Dates TBC.
For More Information: