Appplication Deadline: February 15th 2016
The World Press Institute Fellowship (WPI) fellowship is offered to 10 journalists from countries around the world. It provides immersion into the governance, politics, business, media, journalistic ethics and culture of the United States for experienced international journalists, through a demanding schedule of study, travel and interviews throughout the country.
The program begins in mid-August and ends in mid-October.
- At least five (5) years full-time employment in print, broadcast, or online journalism.
- Journalists can work for news or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, web sites, online publications or magazines of general public interest.
Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers are also eligible.
Those who supervise journalists are eligible providing that they also have at least five years as a working journalist.
Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. People who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non U.S. journalist working outside of the United States.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Potential for leadership
IRP Fellows receive a modest per diem to cover such things as meals. Hotel accommodations and fellowship -related travel are paid for.
- Fellows must have a tolerance for others of different cultures. The program involves a lot of travel, is nonstop, and fellows live out of suitcases much of the time as venues change frequently.
Selection is a competitive process. Each year hundreds of journalists apply to the program. Fellows are picked by the WPI selection committee, composed of journalists and corporate communications specialists, all with international experience. Finalists for the fellowship will announced by email.
During the online application process, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Applicant information
- Employment history and education
- Two essays are required as part of the online application. They are:
- Please describe your professional goals and achievements (in 200-500 words)
- Why are you seeking a WPI Fellowship? What do you expect to gain? What do you expect to contribute? (200-500 words)
- Color photo of yourself
- Work samples
- Awards, fellowships,
- Three letters of recommendation
For More Information: