Application Deadline: March 31st 2015
- When: Thursday, 10 September – Wednesday, 8 October 2015, New York
The “Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme” is to honour Ms. Reham Al-Farra, a young UN staff member killed in the bombing of the UN Headquarters in Baghdad. The Programme is sponsored annually since 1981 by the United Nations Department of Public Information as a fellowship Programme for junior and mid-level broadcasters and journalists from developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The Programme provides journalists with an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the work of the United Nations. It is also an opportunity to meet journalists from other countries and exchange ideas with UN communication professionals.
Upon completion of the Programme, participants are expected to continue working in journalism or broadcasting and help promote better understanding of the United Nations in their home country.
Candidates must be nationals of one of the countries mentioned and must meet all the following requirements:
- Age between 22 and 35.
- Currently employed by a recognized media organization. Freelancers, translators and UN employees or immediate family members of UN employees are not eligible.
- Oral and written fluency in English. Applicants from Non-English speaking countries will be interviewed on the phone.
- Several years of professional journalism experience and proven interest in the work of the United Nations.
- . The program is open to journalists from 35 countries, with the intention of selecting 15 candidates, each from a different country
Participants are expected to:
- Familiarize themselves with the issues before the 70th Session of the UN General Assembly.
- Shadow UN media professionals and participate in hands-on activities and workshops.
- Participate in a two-day academic workshop at a university in New York.
- Undertake professional work assignments. Each participant will be required to compile a dossier of news stories or scripts.
- Attend briefings by officials of the UN Secretariat and special events.
- Visit major media organizations and relevant NGOs in New York to observe their operations.
WHAT IS PROVIDED BY THE UN?
- Economy single round trip airline ticket from your country to New York.
- A daily subsistence allowance (DSA) to cover your accommodation, meals, local transportation and other expenses. The current daily rate for New York is US$ 378.00.
- Upon completion of the Programme requirements and assignments, participants will receive a certificate of participation.
PARTICIPANTS RESPONSIBILITY AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Once selected, participants will need to undertake the following:
- Obtain a Visitor Visa to the United States and acquire health insurance to cover possible medical expenses in the United States.
- Provide a reference letter from his/her current employer, granting leave of absence for the full duration of the Programme. While in New York, participants are required to file relevant UN stories with their news organizations.
- In preparation for the Programme, participants are required to research recent UN activities in their countries and familiarize themselves with the UN System through the UN website (www.un.org) and other relevant sources of information.
- Complete Application Form: 2015 RAF Programme Application Form
- Submit three samples in any language published in the last three years of your work related to the United Nations (General politics – is not accepted).
- A translation into English or a summary must accompany material published in languages other than the six UN official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish).
Please send the completed application form and all required supporting documents attached IN ONE EMAIL e-mail to the Programme Coordinator, Mr. Zvi Muskal at email@example.com
The deadline for receipt of applications is Tuesday, 31 March, 2015.
For More Information: