Application Deadline:16 March 2020
With funding from the Siwei Cheng Foundation of the Education Foundation of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the award will recognize economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least 10 years.
The award reflects the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ strong support to TWAS and, more generally, seeks to build scientific capacity in the developing world. Bai Chunli, president of both the Chinese Academy and TWAS, played a central role in the creation of the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award.
The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award is named after the renowned Chinese economist Siwei Cheng (1935-2015), an economist, chemical engineer, and major political figure. He is most well-known for his work in modern Chinese economic development as a driving force behind the establishment of ChiNext, a stock exchange designed to provide venture capital in technology companies. His work has had a profound impact on both the Chinese and global economy.
Note: From 2020 the Award will be given every second year.
- From 2017 a prize of US$10,000 will be awarded in the field of Economic Sciences.
- The prize is accompanied by a medal.
- The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
Candidates for the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences must be economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least ten years immediately before their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement in economic sciences of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of economic sciences to sustainable development.
The outstanding contribution may be defined in relation to existing opportunities and realistic possibilities available to the candidate.
This applies particularly to candidates from scientifically disadvantaged countries.
Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for the prize.
Self-nominations will not be considered.
- TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
- Nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line nomination platform and clearly state the candidate’s contribution to understanding and addressing economic sciences.
- Nominations of women social scientists and candidates from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged.
- Selection of the awardees is made on merit and on the recommendations of the selection committees composed of TWAS members.
How to nominate a scientist
The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences’ nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” button at the bottom of this page.
To resume working on saved nominations, click on the « RESUME » button at the bottom of this page.
Before starting compiling the nomination, PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MAXIMUM CHARACTERS ALLOWED.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2020 TWAS Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences