Application Deadline: November 16th 2020
African Union Office of the Youth Envoy to Award young peacebuilders behind innovative and impactful Silencing the Guns initiatives.
As part of Youth Silencing the Guns Campaign “ Advancing Youth Roles and Capacities to Silence the Guns” launched by the African Union (AU) on 24th July 2020, the Office of the Youth Envoy (OYE) in collaboration with partners will provide grants to youth
projects through Youth STG Awards to celebrate, elevate and recognise youth impact in the communities with concrete support to grassroots efforts, as well as amplify young peacebuilders initiatives and stories through wide platforms.
Due to the challenges with COVID-19 outbreak, instead of the Youth Silencing the Guns Campaign initially planned continental tour to member states on the ground, the OYE is convening Regional Intergenerational Dialogues. The outcomes of OYE engagements
will feed into the youth declaration and AU Youth Envoy briefings to the both AU Peace and security Council and UN Security Council.
The Youth Silencing the Guns Award was created by the AU Office of the Youth Envoy to celebrate, recognise and support young Africans behind impactful peacebuilding initiatives that are building a culture of peace. A total of Six Awards will be issued six categories
The award seeks to:
● Identify six young peacebuilders at the forefront of impactful Silencing the Guns initiatives.
● Raise awareness of and celebrate their initiatives
● Directly support their initiatives with grants of $2000 up to $5,000
Award Winners will receive:
● Recognition for their work
● $2000 up to $5,000 grant funding to support their existing peacebuilding projects
● Featured at the African Union and partners platforms
- Building Free-Conflict Africa
The award will go to any young man or woman who has contributed immensely to conflict prevention or resolution in their community/ country/ continent through mediation, negotiation, peacebuilding efforts, education and promoting peace, reconciliation and unity amongst others
- Silencing Poverty & Hunger
The award will go to any young man or woman who has contributed immensely to reducing poverty and hunger within their community/ country/ continent
- Silencing Gender-Based Violence
The award will go to any young man or woman whose work helps to reduce the incidence of Gender-Based Violence in their community/ country/ continent, or who work to support victims of GBV
- Silencing Youth Unemployment
The award will go to any young man or woman, leading advocacy around unemployment in their community/ country/ continent; or contributing to solving the unemployment challenges in their country and creating jobs
The award will go to any young man or woman who has campaigned to end corruption in their community/ country/ continent
- Silencing Climate Crisis
The award will go to any young man or woman who has done tremendous work in calling attention to the climate crisis in their country/continent or doing extensive work to mitigate the impact of climate change in their community/country/ continent
● Nominee must be aged 15 – 35 by 30th November 2020 (as per African Youth Charter definition of youth)
● Nominee must be national and living in one of the African Union member states
● Nominee must fit in one of the 6 award categories and directly address one of the thematic areas
● Nominee’s project must have demonstrated impact in peacebuilding and directly impact to at least 300 people
● Nominee’s complete contact information provided
● Nominee must be committed to report on Monitoring and Evaluation of how the grant/Award supported the work of their projects
● Nominee’s project must be apolitical in nature and must not be operated for profit
-Nominees must have an existing initiative/project. Impact must be demonstrated with
quantitative and qualitative forms.
– The project must be able to receive grant funds if Awarded. The projects led by the Nominee must not necessarily be registered as a nonprofit, NGO, or charity organization. Non registered projects will be considered for in kind support
- The Nominee must be the founder, co-founder, or visionary leader responsible for the project success and growth. Volunteers and paid staff who have not played a role in the project founding or vision are not qualified for an Award.
- The Nominee’s project team must be youth-led and focused on peacebuilding. Projects led by a substantial number of adults above 35, while wonderful in their own right, do not align with this mission and may be disqualified.
- Individuals nominated must have been doing this work with their organization for a minimum of 6 months (at least since the outbreak of the pandemic). Nominees with over six months of work showing innovation adopted to COVID-19 outbreak will be qualified.
- The Nominee must have full knowledge that they are being nominated. We strongly recommend that the person you are nominating and the related project assist you in completing the nomination form.
- The Nominee must be available to participate in the Virtual Youth STG Awards Ceremony, if he or she is selected as an Honoree.
- Only one individual from a project can be nominated. If multiple individuals are nominated from the same project, we retain the right to select which Nomination Form/application to review, solely at the Selection Committee discretion.
- If the Nominee is selected as a finalist, they must be willing to submit to a full investigation. The Selection Committee will screen and vet all finalists and their projects in a formal review process which substantiates their work.
- Projects will be funded directly through partners in the form of either direct grant distribution or in the form of in kind support with the same value of the grant.
– The Selection Committee comprises of African Union departments including the Office of the Youth Envoy, the Peace and Security Department, the Youth Division and the African Governance Architecture Secretariat in collaboration with partners providing the
Apply Now for the African Union Youth Envoy Youth Silencing the Gun Award 2020
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the African Union Youth Envoy Youth Silencing the Gun Award 2020