Submission Deadline: September 15 2013
What: The 11th edition of Dak’Art, the Biennial of Contemporary African Art,
When: 9 May to 8 June 2014
Whom: An international artistic event devoted to African visual Arts and gathering around various activities, African and Diaspora artists, as well as contemporary art professionals from all the continents.
The 11th edition of Dak’Art, the Biennial of Contemporary African Art, is to be held between 9 May to 8 June 2014. Applications are open to artists who wish to participate, with the submissions deadline being 15 September 2013.
All candidates must be either African artists or artists from the African diaspora. The works they present should not be artworks that they have already presented at international exhibitions, and must have been created in the last two years.
Dak’Art is the biggest contemporary art biennial in Africa, and provides a dedicated forum for professionals to show their preferred works of African art.
The Biennale of Contemporary African Art, DAK’ART, placed under the care of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Senegal, is an international artistic event devoted to African visual Arts and gathering around various activities, African and Diaspora artists, as well as
contemporary art professionals from all the continents.
: DAK’ART aim to :
– Support and encourage creativity, promotion, spreading of visual arts in Africa
– Promote African visual artists on the international stage
– Enhance the integration of the contemporary African Art into the international Art market
Contribute to the development of art critic in Africa and of publications about art and contemporary African artists.
The International Exhibition is open only to African and Diaspora artists. These artists will send an application to the General
Secretariat of the Biennale of Contemporary African Art.
This file includes:
1. Application letter indicating your acceptance of this regulation
2. Application form
3. A biography of 15 lines maximum in French and in English
4. A detailed curriculum vitae
5. Two portrait photos of the artist
6. Five colour photos of recent works (art works must be property of the artist and less than 2 years old) on digital media (by email or
on DVD, CD). The mention of the name of the photographer is required as well as the date of creation.
7. Technical data sheet of works proposed.
8. Copies of published art magazines and art critic articles on the artist’s work, one or several statements from well known experts
– The works submitted to selection must not have been shown yet into an international exhibition.
– Art works already sold by the artist cannot be selected.
These documents will not be returned to the artist after the deliberations of the selection committee. They will be added to the Documentation
Centre of the Biennale.
The applications should reach the General Secretariat of the Biennale of Dakar later September 15, 2013.
Candidates must read carefully and download beside :
- the application form (.pdf) to be filled in Acrobat and sent back by email with your portfolio. Important indications to complete your portfolio are on page 2.
- the regulation (.pdf)
Application portfolio :
Portfolio must include the following elements digitalized:
- Application letter written by you indicating your acceptance of regulation
- Application form dully filled, and completed only in Acrobat pdf
- A biography of maximum 15 lines in french and in english
- Detailed curriculum vitae: civil status, studies, exhibitions, awards, residencies, publications, links on the web.
- A recent portrait photograph of the artist (digitalized)
- Five colour photos digitalized of recent works being property of the artist and less than 2 years old.
- Technical file of submitted works
- Copies of articles in art magazines and art critic articles on the artist’s work, one or several statements from well known experts (optional).
This call for application is only for African and African Diaspora artists.
Works submitted for selection must not have been shown yet in an international exhibition. They must be property of the artist and date of less than 2 years.
The General Secretariat of the Biennale of Dakar will not consider incomplete applications portfolios.
Application documents will not be sent back to the artists after deliberations of the selection committee. They will be added to the documentation centre of the Biennale of Dakar.
Text documents must be in only in RTF or PDF files (CV, biography, press articles, letters, technical file).
Photo documents (picture of artworks, portrait of the artist) must be in JPEG, TIFF or PNG files obligatory in high resolution 300 dots/inch, over 2MO per photo (necessary for quality printing).
Each photo file of work must be named so : name-of-artist_given-name_title-of-work_year .
Videos must not be compressed and have to be sent or by large file transfer, else on dvd sent by post (the jury shall not consider links on Utube, Myspace etc).
Send also 3 photo captions for each video, in JPEG, TIFF ou PNG files obligatory in high resolution 300 dots/inch. Precise the length of video (minutes, secondes). Indicate type and size of screening.
A technical file must match each photo of work and indicate name of the file, name of the artist, title of work, used technique, year, dimensions, name of photographer of work, material needed for installation, if necessary sketches and plan, and also in 4 lines an explanatory description of each art work.
You can also provide a portfolio in pdf showcasing your previous work (optional).
How to fill the form and send it :
Download /Save the blank form on your computer (do not complete online). Open it clicking on the pdf file.
Complete all fields directly and only in Acrobat PDF Reader (scan, digitalized, picture or word files are not accepted)
If you don’t have a PDF reader, free download on: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ .
Then do Save as> save with the small icon that looks like a floppy disk in the top left of the page or Ctrl + S or « apple »+S on Mac.
Rename it with your name and given name to avoid confusion between the blank form and the empty one. Save it on your desktop once filled.
Open this file and checked if it is completed.
Send it attached by email with other documents of your portfolio to [email protected] .
Keep a copy of this form: choice of photos that you will send must exactly match with the artworks listed in the form.
By large file transfer in one download file zipped (dl.free.fr, Wetransfer, Yousendit, Dropbox, Sendbox, etc) reported by email to [email protected]
By email (only if the size of all attachment are under 10MO) and if possible in one sending in zip file to [email protected]
Per Post for dvd with large size videos, with registered parcel or express mail to: Secrétariat Général de la Biennale de Dakar. 19, Avenue Hassan II . B.P. 3865 Dakar – RP. Sénégal
Artists who can’t digitalize their documents are allowed to send it printed by post. For photos printed on paper, name of the artist, given name, title of work, year must be written on the back of each photo.
For More Information: