Application Deadline: September 15, 2022
The Pan African Forum on Migration (PAFoM) is an African Union continental interstate dialogue on migration that brings together African Union Member States and other relevant stakeholders, to discuss and deliberate on various topical issues related to migration and human mobility in Africa. As a continental dialogue, this forum aims to provide an opportunity for AU Member States and RECs, together with other relevant stakeholders to share information, best practices, lessons learnt, as well as learn from each other on ways to improve migration governance and management on the continent.
The 7th PAFoM to be held in Kigali, Rwanda, presents yet another opportunity for the AU Member States, RECs and other relevant stakeholders to deliberate on the impact of climate change on migration and displacement governance on the continent, a key phenomenal subject of our times. This meeting will bring relevant AU Member States ministers responsible for migration, displacement, and environment, together with their experts’ in the subject matter. It is anticipated that this forum will stimulate a vibrant dialogue and conversation among Member States and invited participants; with the aim of providing necessary policy and operational guidance on mitigating climate-induced migration and displacements at national, regional and continental levels for socioeconomic development. The 7th PAFOM will also presents a unique opportunity to focus discussion on transformative recovery agenda that strengthens Africa’s ability to address a cascade of multi-faceted climate change risks as it navigates the post-covid-19 world and further contribute to the upcoming COP 27 scheduled to hold in Egypt this year.
In accordance with the envisioned programme for the 7th PAFoM, side events will be organized alongside the main meeting during the senior officials meeting of the Forum that will be running from 19th and 20th of October 2022.
Submission of call for proposals for Side Events
As an open space for the exchange of ideas, experiences and lessons learned and that gathers together key member state representatives and premier institutions charged with migration and mobility issues on the continent, the meeting affords an occasion for various stakeholders to organize side-events that have a clear focus on the themes and objectives of the 7th PAFoM meeting and that will feed into its deliberations.
The criteria for selection include the following:
• The theme of the side event should relate to at least one of the seven clusters of thematic areas provided above or be cross-cutting in nature, and the outcome of the side event should inform the overall outcome of 7th PAFoM meeting;
• Consideration should be given to gender balance and geographic (including local) contexts in the choice of speakers and panelists;
• The format of the side event should ensure broad stakeholder participation, and actively involve the audience;
• The side event should last no longer than 1 and 1/2 hours.
Responsibility of the organizers
The logistics of the side events, need to be arranged in collaboration with the side events coordinators. The organizers of the side events will be responsible for the following:
• Inviting speakers and panelists;
• Inviting participants from member States, major groups and other stakeholders;
• Preparing a summary report on the event and sharing it with the secretariat of the Forum;
• Publicity, reproduction of materials and media coverage;
• Any costs related to the event;
• Events should be conducted in English, French, Arabic and Portuguese. Arrangements for simultaneous interpretation will be the responsibility of the organizers.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Call for Proposals for Side Events: 7th Pan-African Forum on Migration