Application Deadline: 4pm (BST) on Friday 20 September 2019
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are for mid-career professionals from low and middle income Commonwealth countries to spend between six weeks and three months at a UK Host organisation working in their sector on a programme of professional development.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide talented and motivated professionals with the opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in their given sector.
These Fellowships are offered under six development themes:
1.Science and technology for development
2.Strengthening health systems and capacity
3.Promoting global prosperity
4.Strengthening global peace, security and governance
5.Strengthening resilience and response to crises
6.Access, inclusion and opportunity
Purpose: To provide professionals with the opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills in their given sector, and to have catalytic effects on their workplaces.
Intended beneficiaries: Mid-career professionals (with five years’ relevant work experience) working in development-related organisations in low and middle income Commonwealth countries.
To be eligible for these fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Have at least five years’ full-time, or equivalent part-time, relevant work experience, in a profession related to the subject of the Fellowships programme, by the proposed start of the fellowship – voluntary work experience will not be counted towards this minimum
- Be in employment at the time of application that they will return to upon completion of the fellowship
- Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship within the last five years (at the time of application)
- Not be seeking to undertake an academic programme of research or study in the UK. Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programmes of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject
- Be available to undertake the Fellowship between 10 February 2020 and 16 March 2020. You should check exact dates with the prospective Host.
Host Programmes for 2019
The following organisations have been selected by the Commission to host Professional Fellowships for the current round. Information on each programme along with the eligibility criteria is available below for each organisation as well as a link to their Website for more information. Please note the eligibility criteria carefully as applications not matching the stated criteria will be deemed ineligible and will not be considered by the Host organisation.
African Prisons Project
Bees for Development Trust
British Geological Survey
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Cardiff University School of History, Archaeology and Religion
Cardiff University, School of Modern Languages
Cardiff University, The Phoenix Project
Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
Commonwealth Telecommunication Organisation
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King’s College London
Knowledge for Change
Liverpool John Moores University, School of Nursing
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
Meriden Family Programme
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust
UCL PRIMENT Clinical Trials, Research Department of Primary Care
University of East London
University of Salford
World Child Cancer UK
How to apply
The closing date for submission of your application is 4pm (BST) on Friday 20 September 2019
The closing date for the submission of references is 4pm (BST) on Monday 30 September 2019. Your application must include at least two references by this date, one of which must be from your current employer, otherwise it will be considered ineligible.
Once the closing date for Fellows’ applications and references has passed your application will be shared with the Host organisation you have applied to in order for them to review all applications and nominate the candidates they wish to put forward to the Commission. The Commission will make the final selections of individual Fellows.
Online Application System
You can access the online application system now.
For More Information: