Application Deadline: 20th March, 2017.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists accepts applications from journalists from the developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean to cover the United Nations General Assembly for approximately 10 weeks beginning in September each year. The fellowships offer a unique opportunity for promising young journalists from developing countries to observe United Nations deliberations and to report on its proceedings for news media in their home countries.
Successful applicants must obtain a leave of absence from their employers. By endorsing the application of a staff journalist for a fellowship, the editor undertakes to meet all telephone or other transmission charges and to publish or broadcast copy filed by the reporter. Applicants must be full-time, professional journalists between 25 and 35 years old, be employed by a recognized print, radio, television, or internet media organization, and have a good working knowledge of English.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists fellowships are open to individuals who:
• Are native of one of the developing countries of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean. For 2017 only, the Fund will not accept applications from the countries of the 2016 Fellows – Argentina, Indonesia, Iran, and Tajikistan — in an effort to rotate recipient countries.
• Currently live in and write for media in a developing country.
• Are between the ages of 25 and 35.
• Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only.
• Are currently employed as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations. Both full-time and freelance journalists are invited to apply.
• Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations.
• Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used and that they will continue to be paid for their services.
- The Fund will provide: round-trip airfare to New York; accommodations; health insurance for the duration of the fellowship, and a daily allowance to cover food and other necessities.
- The Fund will not be responsible for other expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls.
For More Information: