Application Deadline: 31 March 2021,
ETH Zurich and EPFL have launched Future Food – A Swiss Research Initiative together with Bühler, Givaudan and Nestlé (the first partners on board) to further expand research and education in the area of food and nutrition sciences. The Future Food Fellowship is a major pillar within this framework. It aims to bring together competences from academic and industrial research in the fields covered by the initiative. The overarching goal is to develop solutions that address grand challenges such as affordable nutrition and sustainable packaging.
A successful fellow must demonstrate the willingness to engage in scientific or economic issues across the frontiers of food and nutrition sciences. The programme supports research projects at the postdoctoral level, and is structured around annual calls for applications. The Fellowship provides personal research funds for three years to enable fellows to work on their projects in a research laboratory. The programme is co-managed by the World Food System Center at ETH Zurich and the Integrative Food Science and Nutrition Center at EPFL.
- Citizens of any nationality may apply; there are no restrictions concerning age.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate or will complete their doctorate until 30 September succeeding the interview date. Applicants with completed doctorate must have obtained it a maximum of three years prior to the submission deadline.
- Applicants must not have been affiliated for studies, research, employment or other activities (with or without payment) at either ETH Zurich or EPFL during the 12 months that immediately precede the submission deadline.
- Applications will not be forwarded for evaluation if applicants already hold or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor) in a higher education institution in Switzerland or abroad.
- Applications and supporting documentation must be written in English.
- The prospective research project must also comply with the applicable ethics regulations and adhere to the principles of research integrity valid at the host institution (ETH Zurich or EPFL). Relevant ethical, legal and social considerations should be included in the proposal.
The following timeline applies for the 2021 call for applications:
- 1 December 2020: Call opens
- 31 March 2021, 23:59 CET: Final deadline for applications via the online form
- May 2021: Notification and invitation for face-to-face interview sent to the final selection of candidates. A notification is sent to candidates whose application has been rejected.
- 10/11 June 2021: The candidates are interviewed by the Evaluation Board in Bern, Switzerland; final evaluation of fellows
- Second half of June 2021: Formal decision on fellows is made and communicated
- October to December 2021: Commencement of Fellowships
How to Apply
The overarching goal of the Future Food Initiative is to develop solutions that address grand challenges, including sustainable packaging (for example the elimination of plastics) and affordable nutrition (for example combatting deficiencies and starvation globally). A successful fellow must demonstrate the willingness to engage with scientific or economic issues across the frontiers of food and nutrition sciences.
The programme is structured around annual calls for proposals for research projects at the postdoctoral level. The Fellowship provides personal research funds for three years that enable fellows to work on their projects in a research laboratory with a host professor at ETH Zurich or EPFL and, in certain instances, in industry (under conditions to be agreed upon).
Full proposals must be submitted electronically using the online submission tool. Please make sure to adhere to the page limits assigned to each section of the proposal. Apply here
For More Information: