Application Deadline: SUNDAY 11 NOVEMBER 2018.
The GreenMatter Fellowship brings together a cohort of dynamic, talented and committed biodiversity practitioners, with the objective of developing and unlocking their potential. It affords participants the opportunity to fully engage in tackling biodiversity issues through their study and career paths, alongside peers who share in that commitment.
Applications are invited for GreenMatter Postgraduate Awards for Honours studies in South Africa. This round of applications is for Honours students who are starting study in the 2019 academic year. GreenMatter will provide funding for up to a maximum of ONE years.
The 2018 Fellowship call is inviting applications for an award from the Eyethu Honours (Postgraduate Diploma and BTech Fourth Year also welcome)
1. Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust Honours ZAR 50,000
For students wanting to enroll at a South African University to commence Honours studies in 2019. This award is supported by the Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust and GreenMatter. The cash bursary amount is ZAR 50,000 per year. The Honours coursework and proposed research topic must address GreenMatter Priority Skills Areas (As listed in the table above).
Mentoring and Networking
GreenMatter is part of a network of biodiversity experts working in industry, academia and the public sector. They recognise the importance of networking with peers and exposure to positive role models in supporting professional development. Fellowship participants will have access to various forums for networking and will be supported to identify a suitable mentor (if they do not already have one).
Mentoring relationships are most successful where they fulfil an identified need on the part of the mentee. Successful applicants will be provided with guidance on mentorship and GreenMatter will assist both parties in establishing realistic targets in terms of the nature and regularity of communication. However, once mentoring relationships have been established it is the responsibility of the mentor and mentee to commit to sustaining them. Mentees will be responsible for taking the initiative in setting up meetings with their mentor.
Are you eligible?
Applicants must be:
- A national of South Africa;
- In possession of an undergraduate Degree;
- Seeking funding for a full-time postgraduate programme;
- Able to motivate how your field of study aligns to the GreenMatter priority skill areas identified.
Please apply only if you are eligible.
- The application form is of primary importance as it serves as the basis for assessment. The form should be completed and submitted online via the GreenMatter website. Please remember to fill in all sections of the form. If you experience any problems, questions can be emailed to [email protected] and will be responded to within 2 working days.
The following supporting documents must be included and should be uploaded at the end of the form. Please make sure the documents are labelled accordingly.
- Proof of South African citizenship;
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s);
- Certified academic transcripts (If academic transcripts are not available, current marks will suffice; however, final marks must be submitted as soon as they become available – even in a separate email);
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – List any and all work or volunteer experience;
- Reference letters from two referees.
Ideally, you should submit an academic reference and a reference from an employer. If you have never been employed, we will accept a reference from voluntary work, or two academic references. You should ask your referees to write a reference that relates to your application for this bursary and reflects how you meet the selection criteria. It should outline your strengths as an applicant, demonstrate your capacity to study at the level required, and identify your potential impact in the future.
Submit your references with all the other supporting documents or, should your referee prefer to submit their reference directly, ask them to email it to [email protected].
- The subject of the email should state that it is a reference and comprise the name and surname of the applicant, e.g., Reference: LASTNAME, First name. Once your referee has submitted their reference we will email you a confirmation of receipt.
1. Download the Guideline Document below.
2. Fill in the Application form below.
3. Return the Application and ALL supporting documentation to [email protected] by the 11th of November 2018.
*Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For More Information: