Application Deadline: October 15th 2021
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has launched a journalist competition in West and Central Africa to foster quality reporting on migration subject-matters including environmental migration, migrant reintegration, awareness raising about irregular migration and alternatives to irregular migration in the region.
This initiative has been launched in English and French and is based on a “solution journalism” approach which aims at identifying and responding to key social issues. The call for submissions runs from 15 September 2021 until 15 October 2021 for the West and Central Africa Migration Journalism Award.
The competition aims to celebrate Journalists who bring attention to the many facets of migration in West and Central Africa in both French and English language. It focuses on fostering fair and balanced reporting on migration, including environmental migration, and awareness raising on safe migration and alternatives to irregular migration. It is intended to honour, encourage and recognize outstanding stories from the region that shed light on migration from various perspectives, including safe migration, migration and climate change, and returning migrants reintegration.
Through this Award, IOM encourages journalists to:
- Present people with a truer, more complete view of migration issues
- Tell migration stories in a balanced and ethical way to help migrants make informed decisions
- Share accurate information to help communities and families support migrants in making knowledgeable choices
- Share fair and balanced stories that contribute to upholding the dignity of migrants
- The competition is for Journalists and student journalists who cover migration and irregular migration; alternatives to irregular migration; stories of migrant reintegration; awareness raising about migration; and migration in the context of disasters, climate change and environmental degradation.
- The works submitted must be focused one of these subjects relating to migration in West and Central Africa – including stories or reports about migration in countries in the region including internal migration, or from outside the region with a link to countries in the region, or about West and Central Africa diaspora and migrant communities residing in other parts of the world.
- Only entries in which the applicant is the primary author or the co-author of the submitted piece will be accepted.
- The journalistic works that are submitted must have been published in published in print, radio, television or online media between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021.
- Prizes will be awarded to up to eight winners (up to USD 1,250 each).
- The winning Journalists will also receive a plaque of recognition and will be invited to a virtual Award ceremony that will be broadcast on IOM’s social media platforms.
For More Information: