Application Deadline: 20 October 2023.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships were established in 2011 to identify and mentor the future generation of outstanding African leaders. Each year three Fellows have an opportunity to work in the executive offices of the AfDB (Abidjan), ECA (Addis Ababa) or the ITC (Geneva), with a stipend of $100,000.
During their 12-month programmes, Fellows gain both technical and leadership skills, while contributing directly to research and policy design. A special feature of the programme is the opportunity to benefit from the direct mentorship of the heads of the host organisations.
Fellows also become members of the Now Generation Network (NGN), through which they continue to contribute their skills and insights to building a better Africa.
Fellowships are open to young professionals, mid-career and new executives from Africa with relevant work experience and a master’s degree.
- National of an African country
- Minimum 7 years’ of relevant work experience
- Master’s degree
- Under the age of 40, or 45 for women with children
- Any additional criteria as set by the host
African Development Bank
- The fellow will receive an annual stipend monthly paid by the Bank out of the funds provided by Foundation. The Fellow may be required to travel to different locations on instructions of the Bank. All expenses related to the Fellow’s official mission travel, including travel insurance but excluding travel and shipping costs relating to assumption of duty and repatriation, will be borne by the Bank.
The Application Process:
• Interested candidates should complete the online form at the Bank’s website: https://www.afdb.org/en/vacancy/2024-mo-ibrahim-foundation-leadership-fellowshipprogram-63501.
• Applicants must apply online by no later than 20th October 2023.
• Applications will only be considered if they are submitted on line with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating date of birth, nationality, education and relevant experience.
• Applicants must also attach copies of academic transcripts and three letters of recommendation.
• The selection process will include the Bank’s Human Resources Department carrying out an initial vetting of applications to develop a short list of ten (10) applicant files to be further reviewed by the Foundation. A short list of three (3) candidates will be presented to the President of the Bank (or his designate) for final selection.
UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
The Foundation Fellow will be mentored by the Executive Secretary of ECA and/or a designated Representative in the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES). With this guidance, the Fellow will work on the design and implementation of strategic assignments in support of the ECA’s mandate of contributing to the governance and development of member States.
The selected Fellow will receive a Letter of Award from the ECA before commencement of service.
• All expenses related to the Fellow’s official mission travel, including travel insurance will be met by ECA.
• The Fellow will cover his/her own medical insurance, child education and retirement plan arrangements for the period he/she will be working at ECA.
• The Foundation will invite the Fellow to participate in its annual Forum.
• The travel costs for the assumption of duty and repatriation at the end of the appointment will be borne and paid out of the funds provided by the Foundation.
This Fellowship opportunity at ITC is in collaboration with the Mo Ibrahim Foundation. Established in 2006 the Mo Ibrahim Foundation aims to support good governance and great leadership in Africa.
The monthly stipend rates are sufficient only to cover the normal living expenses of one person. No allowances of any kind will be paid for dependents. Fellow should also consider that, in the course of their award, they may be required to travel under circumstances that would make it difficult or impossible for their dependents to accompany them. For that reason, fellows are urged not to bring family members to the duty station.
- Fellowship details (EN)
For More Information: