Application Deadline: 24 February 2017 at 23:59 UTC
Do you want to better understand how the Internet is run?
Do you want your voice to be heard in YOUR region and by the global Internet community?
ICANN is looking for the ‘next generation’ of individuals who are interested in becoming more actively engaged in their own regional communities as well as taking part in the future growth of global Internet policy. Important work is happening every day at ICANN; if you are ready to start your journey, read the information below to see if you are eligible for THIS ICANN Meeting.
Prospective members of the [email protected]ICANN initiative must be:
- Currently living and studying in the region of the respective ICANN meeting and between the ages of 18 and 30. Since applicants must be from the region in which the meeting is being held in, it’s important to understand what ‘regions’ mean. ICANN has established five geographic regions: Africa, Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. ICANN‘s meetings rotate through these geographic locations using the new ICANN Meeting Strategy.
- For those over the age of 30, be sure to apply for the ICANN Fellowship program if you meet the Fellowship criteria (Learn More).
- Able to spend the time allotted for the ICANN meeting, actively participating and in attendance at all required events, as noted by the organizers of NextGen.
- Interested in Internet Governance, the future of the Internet, and other topics covered at the ICANN meeting.
- Willing to present a 5-10 minute project at the meeting. This could be a presentation of research you are working on or have completed, an activity you are doing related to ICANN‘s work, a website you are affiliated with that is related to ICANN‘s work, a thesis project you are working on, etc. All NextGen presentations may be attended by members of the ICANN Multistakeholder community who are in attendance at the ICANN Meeting, as well as NextGen Ambassadors and other NextGen participants.
- Each individual is provided a grant of support that covers the cost of economy class airfare, hotel and a stipend.
- NextGen participants are required to secure their own visas for travel at their own expense, as well as obtain any travel or health insurance, if desired, at their own expense.
Upcoming Launch Dates:
ICANN59 (Meeting B / Policy Forum) in Johannesburg, South Africa to be held 26 – 29 June 2017
- Application Round open: 16 January 2017 at 23:59 UTC
- Application Round close: 24 February 2017 at 23:59 UTC
- Selected NextGen announcement: 27 March 2017
NextGen Ambassador Program
In an effort to maintain Program consistency and build upon the relationship between members of the [email protected]ICANN program and ICANN Community and Staff, the role of NextGen Ambassador has been established. Individuals who have successfully completed a previous [email protected]ICANN program are encouraged to apply for the role of Ambassador. A NextGen Ambassador is required to mentor new members in order to expedite their understanding of the ICANN community and topics of the ICANN Meeting week.
Of those previous NextGen applicants who apply, some individuals will be selected to perform this role (depending on total number of selected NextGen members for each particular Meeting).
Ambassadors are required to attend all NextGen sessions at an ICANN Meeting, provide support at the ICANN Information Booth alongside the ICANN Fellowship Alumni, and create a personal Meeting Agenda that shows interest in building upon their previous ICANN Meeting experience to become further engaged in the ICANN Community.
In terms of selection criteria for the Ambassadors, preference is given to those living in the same region as the current Meeting is being held. Applicants will be evaluated on their written explanation, within the NextGen application, of how they have remained active in Internet Governance and/or Regional or Global ICANN work since their previous experience, as well as how they plan on engaging the new NextGen members prior to, during and after the ICANN Meeting. An outline or plan for their own participation in the Meeting may also be considered.
The NextGen Ambassador program participants will be selected using the Selection Committee as outlined above (minus the votes of the existing Ambassador if applicable).
Apply To [email protected]ICANN
Contact [email protected]
For More Information: