Submission Deadline: November 6 2014
SAfAIDS Young Peoples Leadership Academy (YPLA)
Are you a young person aged between the ages of 19 and 25 years?
Do you reside in Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia or Zimbabwe?
Are you passionate about your health, education and youth well-being?
Are you passionate about community development and keen to make a change?
Do you want to make a difference in other young people’s lives?
If you said yes to the above, then this is for YOU
Southern Africa HIV & AIDS Information Dissemination Service is seeking to recruit 12 committed and dynamic young people, 2 per country (Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe) from southern Africa, to be enrolled in A Young People’s Leadership Academy for sexual & Reproductive Health in Southern Africa.
The capacity strengthening, mentoring and internship the Academy will offer, seeks to equip young people in Southern Africa with leadership skills and knowledge to uphold positive Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) outcomes, and SRH rights, for themselves and their communities of reach. The Academy will initially reach out to young people in six countries: Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The candidates will be expected to undertake the following:
- Enroll in the SAfAIDS young people’s leadership academy ONE year programme
- Participate fully in the academy activities for one year before graduating
- Participate in in-country ‘Let’s Talk. And Act’ sessions – spaces for young people to interact and share experiences in leadership
- Become champions of young people’s SRHR and socio-economic rights, identifying opportunities for advocacy at local, national and continental levels
- Initiate and execute country projects to support development within their communities
- Adopt a role model and inspirational stance for other young people in their communities.
- Facilitate breaking barriers of communication and interaction between young people and older community members, leadership and development practitioners at all levels
In order to quality for this program, young people must meet the following criteria:
- Aged between 19-25 years
- Have completed some level of tertiary education in the fields of social sciences, development studies, gender studies, or related health and leadership studies
- Experience and participation in at least one HIV or sexual and reproductive related project, campaign or initiative, either at community level or within an institution e.g. school or University, or organization.
- Be a citizen of and resident in one of the six focus countries under this project
- Passionate and committed to advance young people’s rights and development agenda
Interested candidates should submit their CVs and a motivation letter (not more than two pages) to: [email protected] with subject line stating Application-YPLA and country of residence. Submissions that do not meet the above outlined criteria will not be considered.
For More Information: