Application Deadline: Tuesday, 31 May 2016.
Tax Justice Network – Africa in partnership with the Centre for Film and Media Studies at the University of Cape Town (UCT) and the Open Society Foundation of South Africa, invites suitably qualified African journalists to participate in an upcoming workshop on taxation, illicit financial outflows (IFFs) and their implications for Africa’s development. The workshop is aimed at filling a critical gap in African journalism that looks intuitively and comprehensively at Tax issues on the continent.
The objective of this training continues to be improving the understanding of African media and enable especially business journalists who focus on finance reporting to take a keen interest in accurately and adequately reporting on taxation, Illicit Financial Flows (IFFs), the general tax justice agenda and their linkages to the broader structural transformation of Africa’s economies.
The workshop will be hosted in Cape Town, South Africa at the University of Cape Town from 27 to 29 June 2016.
The training workshop has the following objectives:
- To enhance a critical understanding among African journalists of the intricacies of reporting adequately on tax, IFFs, the general tax justice agenda and their linkages to the broader structural transformation of African economies.
- To link African journalists to experts (including negotiators), institutions, sources and documents so critical to forensic reporting.
- To drive tax policy dialogues as they come up with creative ideas on reporting about tax issues and also accurately report on tax activities across the globe.
- To enhance journalistic competences in data journalism
- To provide a platform for the launch of the inaugural Pan-African Media Award for best reporting on taxation in Africa.
- Explain the importance of Tax and Tax law in relation to the specific country development agendas.
- The costs of travel, accommodation and subsistence for successful applicants will be funded by the workshop organisers.
For More Information: