Application Deadline: July 26 2013
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Transparency International ,The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission(ICPC) and other stakeholders, hereby invites application for the 2013 Anglophone West Africa Youth Integrity Camp in Nigeria (5-day Youth Integrity Camp for youth leaders from Anglophone West African countries (Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, the Gambia and Sierra Leone) in Lagos, Nigeria on the 23rd – 27th of September 2013.
The camp is organised with the conviction that a strong and responsible leadership in these sectors must be anchored by one of the main pillars of the country, the youth. The goal is to give these young leaders the tools and motivation to become active defenders of open and responsible governance, by effectively applying principles of integrity, transparency, accountability, and the participation and mobilisation of their peers.
During the camp, the youth leaders will work on their own concrete project, to be implemented in their home countries, as well as learn about different tools that exist in the fight against corruption. In this joint project, the UNDP and Transparency International want to create a framework for exchange and debate among these youth leaders, and incorporate principles of integrity into their behaviour and the environment.
The Youth Integrity Camp will bring together youth leaders from business, politics, public sector, civil society organizations, media, university, art, sports and religion, etc in order to:
- Empower the youth to use their dynamism and innovative minds to promote integrity and public accountability;
- Provide the youth with tools to enhance their efforts as agents of change in their respective communities as relates to fighting corruption and promoting public accountability;
- Provide a forum for exchanging innovative approaches, ideas and best practices from the different countries of the sub-region towards improving transparency, accountability and participation in their respective communities.
Criteria for Selection:
- Membership of a youth association/organisation from the following sectors: sports, music, politics, education, professional, private/public sector, civil society, media, universities and religious bodies/associations.
- Be between 18-35 years
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Have completed senior secondary school (minimum requirement)
- Female youth who satisfy the above criteria are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application:
- Evidence of membership of a youth association/ organization from the aforementioned sectors, such as a signed letter from a member of the association’s board on the official letter-head of the association.
- A current and updated CV (max. 2 pages);
- Scanned copy of certificate from highest level of education achieved;
- A 1 – page document enumerating motivations and interests in participating; and
- A 1- page proposal of a project on how integrity can be translated into action. In the course of the camp, project proposals will be discussed and information provided on how to translate proposed projects into concrete actions. Potential participants are encouraged to consider exploring creative ways of putting a “human face” on the sums of money lost to corruption. The use of research, information technology and available media tools is highly encouraged to paint a “before” and “after” picture of how funds that have been lost to acts of corruption could have been used to transform a local community/state or a particular sector (e.g. health, education, water resources, agriculture etc).
Applications from interested participants are to be submitted by email with the required documents as attachments to the following e-mail addresses. Please ensure that your application is sent to the e-mail address for your country:
Sierra Leone: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for the submission of applications is Friday, 26th July 2013. The travel, feeding and accommodation of selected applications will be covered by the organizers. Only successful applicants will be contacted.