The application deadline for the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship programme is 29 February 2016.
The deadline for the UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programme is 31 January 2016.
UNU is now accepting applications for the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship programme and the UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programme.
Jointly organized by UNU and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship programme provides promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) and UNU Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR).
Through the UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programme, recent PhD graduates can put the knowledge and expertise acquired during their doctoral research to practical, policy-relevant use. The programme provides young scientists, policymakers and scholars — especially from developing countries — with the opportunity to expand their intellectual vision beyond a single academic field.
JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
- CLOSING DATE:
Jointly organized by the United Nations University and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS, Tokyo) and UNU Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR, Tokyo), in co-operation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions. UNU acts as the nominating authority for the JSPS–UNU Programme.
This fellowship is aimed at candidates who have completed their PhD degrees in the past six years and also have professional and/or research experience. UNU will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates.
Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months. Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (received on or after 2 April 2010) when the fellowship begins, or be scheduled to receive a doctoral degree before the fellowship begins. (Japanese nationals are not eligible.)
Terms of the Award
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
- A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000
- Overseas travel insurance coverage, etc.
UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship 2016
- CLOSING DATE:
UNU-IAS offers Postdoctoral Fellowships to recent PhD graduates to provide them with the opportunity to put the knowledge and expertise acquired during their doctoral research to practical policy-relevant use. The purpose of the UNU-IAS Postdoctoral Fellowship is to provide young scholars and policymakers, especially from the developing world, with a multidisciplinary context within which to pursue advanced research and training that are of professional interest to the applicant and of direct relevance to the research agenda of UNU-IAS.
Two Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded each year for a period of 12 months, starting in April. The Fellows are resident at UNU-IAS in Japan for the full term of the fellowship. (Eligibility for a second 12-month appointment may be considered based on the Fellow’s performance.)
Eligibility and conditions
- Applicants must have obtained a PhD (or at least successfully defended their doctoral dissertation), in an area broadly associated with the UNU-IAS thematic focus, prior to the application deadline.
- Language proficiency in English is essential.
- Applicants from developing countries and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The fellowship provides a monthly stipend of JPY300,000–360,000 (depending on experience).
- A one-time-only settle-in-allowance of JPY 80,000 will be granted to each Fellow at the beginning of the programme for relocation, adjustment expenses, ground transportation and incidental costs.
- UNU-IAS provides Fellows with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Narita Airport.
- Settle-in-allowance and air tickets are, however, not provided for Fellows already residing in Japan before the commencement of the fellowship.
- Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online-application form.
- If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS.
- The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English.
- If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
For More Information: