Application Deadline: September 30th 2016
PhD interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and return to their home institution afterwards. During their time in Helsinki, PhD interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. PhD interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies.
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute.
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship.
- The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the PhD Internship Programme twice each year.
- When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period August-November of the same year.
For More Information: