The West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) based in Accra, Ghana established by the Open Society Initiative for West Africa to enhance the capacity of civil society organizations in the Region in the areas of institutional building, organizational governance, training, and policy dialogue has introduced a six – twelve (6-12) months internship programme which commenced in January 2008. The internship programme is aimed at developing the next generation of African scholars and practitioners.
The internship programme primarily targets young West Africans at the start of their professional careers seeking work experience in WACSI’s core areas of work. Where relevant, applicants from other regions of Africa will be considered.
The programme is aimed at building interns’ capacity in the following areas: leadership skills, proposal and report writing, training and facilitation skills. Interns will also be exposed to research on HIV/AIDS, governance and human rights, peace and security, Africa’s current development initiatives (NEPAD, APRM), regional trends (ECOWAS), and Gender issues.
The successful intern will be assigned to WACSI’s Programmes Unit and will assist with capacity building, research and policy and advocacy projects. Other responsibilities may include:
- Conduct desktop research on topical issues
- Assist in gathering of information and writing meeting reports
- Assist in seminar and workshop preparations
- Assist in the development of training tools
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
- Strong interest in civil society
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written (French and English)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and strong internet research skills
- Willingness to learn with positive altitude and take initiative when appropriate
- Ability to work effectively independently, with supervision, and in a multi-cultural environment
- The ability to work as part of a team is necessary.
WEST AFRICA CIVIL SOCIETY INSTITUTE
Interested applicants should send the following document in English and French
- Application letter
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Two references (one should be an academic reference); and
- A letter of motivation expressing career goals, and how the internship will contribute to achieving those goals.
Please send application to Administrative Officer at [email protected]
- Priority will be given to BILINGUAL applicants
- Preference will be given to applicants with a minimum of a first degree with background in Social Sciences, Public Policy, Law, Arts and Humanities and must be ready to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- All documents must be sent in English and French
- The deadline for submission of application is Friday November 14, 2012.
- The period of internship is from January to June, 2013.
- Successful applicant will spend a substantial part of his/her internship working at the WACSI secretariat in Accra, Ghana.
Only successful applicants will be contacted for phone interview.