Application Deadline: February 27th 2017
May 29th 2017 to June 23rd 2017
July 3rd 2017 to July 28th 2017
August 28th 2017 to September 22nd 2017
YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa which is part of President Obama’s Young African Leaders Initiative and one of the four regional hubs that provides transformational learning and improved leadership skills to young Africans. We request your support in spreading the news about this exciting program to international students on your campus.
Located at Kenyatta University, in Nairobi, Kenya, the Center is more than a location for learning or a venue for collaboration; it is a philosophy, a forward-leaning culture of diversity that invites dreaming and thinking differently to define and realize one’s potential. The program is inclusive, embracing future leaders regardless of religion, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, or disability.
Selected participants aged 18-35 years, drawn from 14 countries in East and Central Africa; namely Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central Africa Republic, South Sudan, and Congo, engage in innovative leadership training across three tracks of study of (1) Business and Entrepreneurship, (2) Civic Leadership, and (3) Public Management.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Civic Leadership
- Public Management
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- The participants immerse themselves in a 12-week course of study, three weeks of residential learning on-site at the Center in Nairobi;
- Eight weeks of virtual distance learning via technology from their home countries; and a final week on-site at the Center in Nairobi for wrap-up and presentations.
- The Center benefits the participants by linking them to a network of other young leaders from East Africa empowering them by enhancing their skills and confidence to lead; providing guidance from some of the best business and leadership minds in Africa; and opportunities for internships, among other benefits.
For More Information: