Application Deadline: October 2nd 2014
Where: 22 to 27 December 2014 in Tunisia
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Regional Youth Forum (RYF) 2014 is a pilot youth event in the form of training and a debate and policy competition. It is designed to engage young people who are active in civil society, debate and public policy activities in on-going debates on issues of importance to the MENA region and the global community.
It is aimed at students and recent graduates aged from 18 to 28 from the MENA region who will form a team made up of other members of their university or youth organization, who will represent that organization.
Each team will compete for two titles: ‘best debating team’ and ‘best public policy proposal’. Experts on debate techniques and policy drafting will work with the teams on relevant issues.
- Any team of five university students, aged 18 – 28, currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the MENA region, as well as recent graduates, can apply.
- These teams need to be affiliated either with their educational institution, or with a youth organization and ideally be active in contributing to civil society activities. IDEA MENA’s selection criteria include: active civic engagement of team members, leadership potential, debate experience, team diversity, in addition to a thoughtful and creative essay piece.
- IDEA MENA operates in 19 countries in the region: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
1. Be a team of five current students or recently graduated students with debate experience, aged 18 – 28, and affiliated with an educational institution or youth organization in the MENA region
2. Designate a team coordinator
3. Write your short essay
5. Submit the application (including all the necessary uploads) by 2 October, 2014
TRAVEL AND VISA
When will the MENA Regional Youth Forum take place?
- The final stage of the RYF will take place from 22 to 27 December 2014 in Tunisia.
- Forum participants will be expected to arrive the day before, i.e. 21 December 2014, and depart the day after the Forum, i.e. 28 December 2014.
- IDEA MENA will aim to release further details regarding the Forum in October 2014.
What if I need a visa to come to Tunisia?
- IDEA MENA will arrange a visa sponsorship invitation letter and any necessary proof of accommodation, and will reimburse the visa application cost upon production of receipt.
- Participating teams are responsible for filing their visa paperwork on time, as well as ensuring that all team members have valid passports.
Who will pay for the costs of the trip?
- IDEA MENA will cover the cost of training materials, travel (including visa application) and a full board accommodation for each participant in the Forum.
- IDEA MENA will not be responsible for any other costs that the participant may incur to participate in the Forum (e.g. costs for a valid passport, private consumption, additional beverages, or other incidental costs before, during or after the Forum), unless otherwise agreed by IDEA MENA
1. Application stage – includes submission of a short essay. (Deadline 2 October 2014)
2. Selection of the successful teams
3. Training event in the team’s country of residence
4. Submission of policy memorandum (Deadline 15 Nov 2014)
5. Final debate and policy forum in Tunisia (22 to 27 Dec 2014)
For More Information: