Application Deadline: 11:59 pm EST on December 1, 2015
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is the Smithsonian Institution’s centrally-funded flagship fellowship program. SI Fellowships are awarded annually to scholars wishing to conduct independent study or research at one or more of the Smithsonian’s 19 units and research centers.
These fellowships are offered through the Smithsonian’s Office of Fellowships and Internships, and are administered under the charter of the Institution, 20 U.S. Code section 41 et seq.
- The program is open to US citizens and Non-US citizens.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have the ability to write and converse fluently in English.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is open to:
- Graduate Students ($7000.00 for 10 weeks)
Graduate Student Fellowships are typically 10 weeks in length. Students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree granting institution.
- Predoctoral Students
Predoctoral Student Fellowships are typically 3 to 12 months in length. Students must be enrolled in a university as a candidate for the Ph.D. or equivalent.
- Postdoctoral Researchers and
Postdoctoral Student Fellowships are typically 3 to 12 months in length. The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
- Senior Researchers
Senior Fellowships are typically 3 to 12 months in length. Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship award amounts are as follows:
Graduate Student Fellowship**: $7000.00 for 10 weeks
Predoctoral Student Fellowship: $32,700 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Senior Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Fellows in earth/planetary sciences and conservatory sciences are eligible to receive $5,000.00 over the amounts above.
How to Apply:
- Applicants must propose research that is conducted at the Smithsonian in an area of research outlined in the publication, Smithsonian Opportunities for Research and Study (SORS).
- Applicants should contact staff members to help identify potential advisors, determine the feasibility of the proposed research being conducted at the Smithsonian Institution, and the availability of relevant resources such as staff, collections, archives and library materials during the proposed tenure dates.
- Apply Through: SOLAA
Applications for centrally funded Smithsonian Institution Fellowships are not listed under the museum, research facility or office in which the applicant proposes to conduct research. Applicants for centrally funded Smithsonian Institution Fellowships need to select one of the applications found under the Office of Fellowships in SOLAA. Applicants who wish to conduct research at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) should go here as SAO application requirements and deadlines may be different.
- Applications must be received no later than 11:59 pm EST on December 1, 2015 via SOLAA
- You should correspond with your proposed Smithsonian advisor(s) as you prepare your proposal (being sure to discuss potential research costs) with your proposed advisor(s) before submitting your application
- All application materials must be presented in English (foreign transcripts may be translated)
For More Information: