Application Deadline: December 1st, 2015
Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships in Global Health Leadership will be accepting applications for the 2016–2017 Fellowship year. There are 20 positions available for health professionals interested in a 12-month fellowship (starting July 2016) in one of its African partner countries (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda).
The Afya Bora Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries.
The 12 month training program has 2 components:
- A eight-week Core Curriculum, plus four distance learning modules
- Two four-and-a-half month assignments to sites, such as Ministries of Health, NGOs, etc. in partner African countries.
The Afya Bora Consortium is a partnership of eight academic health centers, four in Africa and four in the United States. The four pairs are:
- University of Nairobi and the University of Washington
- University of Botswana and the University of Pennsylvania
- Makerere University and Johns Hopkins University
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences and the University of California, San Francisco
In order to be eligible to apply all applicants MUST meet the following criteria
Who is eligible to apply?
- Citizens of US, Cameroon, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, or Tanzania, who also
- Meet ONE of the following education requirements:
- Medical applicants with a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed, MPH or Masters degree in related field.
- Nursing applicants with a Masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field (PhD or DNP preferred).
- Other Public Health professionals with a PhD in Public Health or a related field.
- Airfare (home-Botswana- attachment sites – Kenya – attachment site- Uganda – home)
- Monthly stipend equivalent to $1500 per month
- Evacuation insurance if stationed outside home country
- Accommodations and per diem up if attending didactic sessions and meetings outside of home country
- Reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc)
- December 1, 2015— Application Deadline
Applications received prior to the deadline will be reviewed and applicants may be accepted on a rolling basis. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible.
- March, 2016– Notification of Acceptance
Accepted applicants will be notified.
- June 25- June 28, 2016– New Trainee Orientation in Africa
New trainee participants will be brought together for a 2-day orientation. Immediately following orientation are three 1-week course modules that will also be held in the same country.
- Online Application for Training
- Institution Nomination Letters (at least 2)
- Institution Nomination Forms (at least 2 nominations)
- Curriculum Vitae
In order to complete the application process, complete the online application here and email or fax your curriculum vitae, 2 recommendation letters and 2 institutional nomination forms by December 1, 2015 to:
Angela Shelton, Program Manager
University of Washington
Fax: +1 (206) 543-4818
For More Information: