McGill University and The MasterCard Foundation have partnered to offer The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill for academically talented, economically disadvantaged young people from Sub-Saharan Africa. McGill is proud to be one of a select group of global MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program partners chosen for their academic excellence, nurturing environments, and programs relevant to development in Africa. Unique among Program partners, McGill welcomes Francophone students.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill will welcome 91 Scholars from Sub-Saharan Africa, including 24 at the Master’s level. Unique to McGill, some Scholars are from French-speaking countries and will receive intensive English language training before starting their degree programs.
A central goal of The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is to create a globally educated and highly qualified group of future leaders, who, upon graduation, can return to Africa to help foster the region’s development.
Toward these ends, McGill complements the Scholars’ education with a comprehensive support system that includes mentorship, tailored support services, community service opportunities and sustained programming relevant to their personal development. Scholars also receive guidance and funding for two internships in their home countries during their studies. The internships aim to sustain the Scholars’ connection with their ho
Eligibility Criteria for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- You must qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that admission is competitive; see Admissions Guide.
- You must be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. French-speaking applicants are welcome.
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
In addition, please note that The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill is only available for undergraduate programs. Scholarships will be available at the Masters level beginning in the 2016-2017 academic year.
For More Information: