Application Deadline: 15 January 2016
Invitation for Applications for Admission to the LLM and PhD Programmes at the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) starting on 1 October 2016 and Invitation for Applications for Scholarships to pursue the aforementioned LLM and PhD Programmes.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Applications are invited, especially from candidates in the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda), for entry into a postgraduate study programme in law (LLM or PhD) offered by the Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL).
- The requirements for admission to the LLM and PhD programmes are: for the LLM programme, a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised institution of higher legal education; for the PhD programme, an excellent LLM degree from a recognised institution.
- The language of instruction at the TGCL is English.
- Those who are not conversant with it should not apply
- Scholarships, restricted to applicants from EAC countries and from South Sudan only, are available for a limited number of LLM and PhD students admitted to the programmes.
- A scholarship will cover the University fee and a health insurance. An annual amount of 2,400 EUR for Tanzanians and of 3,000 EUR for Non-Tanzanians will be paid to cover the cost of living.
- An additional lump sum of 30 EUR per month will be paid if you are not residing on campus. A once-off lump sum of 460 EUR for LLM and 920 EUR for PhD will be paid for the cost of research. The LLM scholarship covers a period of one year, and the PhD scholarship a period of three years.
- To apply for a TGCL scholarship, kindly complete the TGCL scholarship application form.
- Together with this form, attach a one page explanation on why you should be covered with a TGCL scholarship.
- Please file your scholarship application with your application for admission
Your application must contain the following documents:
- a completed University of Dar es Salaam application form (available at www.tgcl.uni-bayreuth.de)
- a signed curriculum vitae with clear evidence of periods of legal and other relevant education, training and practical experience; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- one page letter of motivation
- certified photocopies of all relevant certificates (birth certificate, school leaving certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education, including provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not in English an official translation should be attached
- three letters of recommendation (signed and sealed)
- three passport
- size photographs
- a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
Mode of Application
Please send your application for admission both as hard copy and as electronic copy as follows:
Hard copies should be sent to the following address:
The Coordinator, TGCL,
Dr Benedict T. Mapunda,
University of Dar es Salaam School of Law,
P.O. Box 35093, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania;
fax: +255 22 2410 103
Electronic copies should be sent to the following email address: [email protected] and copied to [email protected]
For More Information: