Submission Deadline: September 30, 2014
Theme: Nonlinear Narrative
Nonlinear narrative is a storytelling technique used in literature and film where events are portrayed in nontraditional ways, such as non-chronological events or parallel story lines.
Al Jazeera Innovation Challenge is an initiative of Al Jazeera’s Innovation and Research group. It is intended to open a platform for new ideas about storytelling to surface from a global community of software designers and developers.
The Innovation Challenge competition offers substantial rewards, including the possibility of future incubation of winning ideas, invitations to large innovation events in the future, and $25,000 in cash prizes.
Al Jazeera is looking for participants from its global audience with a variety of expertise, ranging from idea conception, through design/prototyping, and all the way to development.
The Challenge IS open to:
- individuals who are at least 15 years of age
- teams of eligible individuals
- organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry, and employ no more than 10 people (“Organizations”)
- Al Jazeera is challenging storytellers, developers, and designers to come up with the most innovative nonlinear storytelling application.
- The application can be a Web or mobile application (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows Phone).
If your application allows for a new form of storytelling, it should be reusable. That is, it should support any number of different stories in the future, and not be hard-coded to tell one story for the purposes of this challenge.
- First Place : $10,000 `
The winner of the First Place prize will receive a cash award of $10,000 and will be invited to a large innovation event held by Al Jazeera in Doha, Qatar, with travel and expenses paid. The winning solution will also be considered for incubation with Al Jazeera, including the possibility of further funding.
- Second Place : $7,000
The winner of the Second Place prize will receive a cash award of $7,000 and will be invited to a large innovation event held by Al Jazeera in Doha, Qatar, with travel and expenses paid.
- Third Place : $5,000
The winner of the Third Place prize will receive a cash award of $5,000.
For More Information: