Application: 31st October 2014
The Bertha Scholarships were created to nurture a new generation of social innovators, and to explore entrepreneurial solutions to help solve some of the urgent social and environmental problems of our time.
The Bertha Scholarship covers full and partial costs of the MBA programme at the UCT Graduate School of Business for candidates committed to social innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Bertha Centre offers MBA Scholarships to students that have met the requirements for the MBA programme and who are driven by their pursuit in social or green ventures. The focus will be on encouraging selected MBA students to fully realise projects and business ideas that make a real positive impact on society. Bertha Scholars will also have access to communities and to mentors to build on their ideas and create companies
Am I eligible?
The criteria used for selection of Bertha Scholars are:
- Candidates must be South African / African Citizens and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
- Candidates must have started or worked in an entrepreneurial social or green venture, or have worked on sustainable social business strategies within an organisation for at least one year.
- Candidates must demonstrate a strong moral character, strong entrepreneurial drive, a track record of action, leadership qualities, traits of social activism and a commitment to the sustainable development of emerging economies.
- Through the submission of an essay, candidates must show how the MBA at this stage in their career will help to accelerate their impact and how it will contribute to the wider creation of value for society.
- Candidates must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a social venture, which make self-funding the MBA a significant burden.
How do I apply
- Candidates must first be eligible and apply for the MBA programme at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
- Please note: Applications for the 2015 Scholarship will open on 1 September 2014.
- Interested candidates should submit the online Bertha Scholarship Application Form together with their UCT MBA application number received from the GSB Admissions Office, contact details and CV to [email protected] by 31st October 2014.
- Candidates will be notified if they are selected for interview by mid November 2014. . Interviews will take place during the second or first week of December 2014.
- The final decision and award of the scholarship will be made by a Scholarship selection panel, following which candidates will be informed by 17th December 2014. Candidates will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if admitted to the MBA programme.