Application Deadline: 17:00 (BST) Wednesday 21 March 2018.
The British Ecological Society Ecologists in Africa grant provides support of up to £8,000 for ecologists in Africa to carry out innovative ecological research.
This grant provides support for ecologists in Africa to carry out innovative ecological research. We recognise that ecologists in Africa face unique challenges in carrying out research; our grant is designed support you to develop your skills, experience and knowledge base as well as making connections with ecologists in the developed world. We support excellent ecological science in Africa by funding services and equipment.
Eligibility and Conditions
- be a scientist and a citizen of a country in Africa or its associated islands, that is a ‘low-income economy’ or ‘lower-middle-income economy’ according to the World Bank categorisation
- have at least an MSc or equivalent degree
- be working for a university or research institution in Africa (including field centres, NGOs, museums etc.) that provides basic research facilities
- carry out the research in a country in Africa or its associated islands
- The maximum value of a grant is £8,000 for research. An additional sum up to £2,000 may be requested to fund travel to help you develop connections with other ecologists outside your usual peer group.
- Travel funds are available to spend time working with ecologists in developed countries where facilities and experience will help you on return to your own institution.
- Successful applicants also receive two years of free BES membership and free online access to our journals.
- The round is now OPEN with a deadline of 17:00 (BST) Wednesday 21 March 2018.
- Please note awards will be made in May, the project start date should therefore be after 20 May 2018.
- From January 2018 our Ecologists in Africa Grant will open twice per year, in line with all other BES grants.
Applicants are only able to submit one grant application per round, across all grant schemes.
For More Information: