Application Deadline: 17 August 2020.
Call for nominations for the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour Award on the occasion of the global observance of World Habitat Day on Monday 5 October 2020.
UN-Habitat is the United Nations programme working towards a better urban future. Its mission is to “promote transformative change in cities and human settlements through knowledge, policy advice, technical assistance and collaborative action to leave no one and no place behind”.
The UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour award was launched in 1989 and is one of the most prestigious human settlements award in the world. It aims to acknowledge initiatives which have made outstanding contributions in the field of human settlements, provision of housing, highlighting the plight of people living in poverty or who have been displaced, developing and improving human settlements and the quality of urban life to leave no one behind echoing the Sustainable Development Goals 2030 with emphasis on Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.
The award, a plaque engraved with the name of the winner, will be presented during the Global Observance of World Habitat Day on 5 October 2020.
Individuals, organizations, the private sector, government, non-governmental, bilateral and multi-lateral aid agencies dealing with sustainable projects which have had great impact in society, and any Habitat Agenda partner who has improved the lives of people can be nominated for the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour.
- Government and inter-governmental organizations or agencies, including bilateral aid agencies
- Local and Regional Governments or their associations
- Civil society organizations
- The private sector
- National Habitat Committees or focal points
- Research and academic institutions
- Public or private foundations
- Multilateral agencies (United Nations Agencies, World Bank, etc.)
- The media
The Selection processes
The selection process will consist of these steps:
- Selection will be made by a Committee comprising from UN-Habitat experts and senior management
- UN-Habitat will make an initial assessment of the nominations and submissions and verify that the submission conforms to the standards outlined in the guidelines. Qualifying submissions will be sent to the Selection Committee which will be guided by the World Habitat Day theme for 2020, Housing For All: A better Urban Future.
- The Committee members will make their recommendations to the Executive Director outlining their reasons for the selection of a maximum of five winning initiatives.
- UN-Habitat’s Executive Director, based on the recommendations of the Selection Committee, will make the final selection of the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour winners.
- The UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour nominees will be notified by 2 September 2020 on the outcome of the selection.
- The winners will receive their awards during the global celebration of the World Habitat Day observance on 5 October 2020.
How to nominate a candidate
To nominate an organization, individual or project for this year’s award:
- Submit the duly filled online nomination form in English on the website here.
- Or submit the nomination form in English with attachment to [email protected].
- It is not possible to nominate yourself, your own organization or project.
For More Information: