Application Deadline: August 15th 2016
The Open Data for Development Network (OD4D) is pleased to announce an Open Call for Proposals from organizations interested in coordinating the Africa Open Data Network (AODN), a planned regional hub.
Open Data for Development (OD4D) is a global partnership to advance the creation of
locally driven and sustainable open data ecosystems around the world. Open Data for
Development works with leading open data organizations to create knowledge and inform
policies, standards, innovation and research around the world.
Funding for this multidonor partnership is provided by the International Development
Research Centre (IDRC), the World Bank, Global Affairs Canada and United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID
This call was developed jointly by IDRC and the Web Foundation as part of the OD4D network and in consultation with a wider network of African researchers and institutions actively working in Open Data in Africa, first at the Africa Open Data Conference and OGP Regional Meeting (draft consultation document).
- Organizations based in all parts of the African continent can in principle qualify for support.
- Applicant organizations are considered to be those that have legal corporate registration in an eligible country.
- The primary considerations in selecting a host will be the quality of the proposal and
experience of the proponent team in the range of areas of the open data for development program.
Format and requirements
- The proposals submitted via applications should be concise and presented in singles paced, Arial point 12font text, with a maximum length of up to 8 pages (not including abstract and annexes).
The proposal should include the following items:
● A brief description of the current state of open data in Africa and the need for an
African led open data network;
● The recent experience of the proponent organization in open data research in Africa;
● Current engagement in open data activities (e.g. awareness raising, capacity
building, technical assistance etc.) and African regional processes;
● Description on how the proponent would approach this assignment;
● Preliminary schedule; and
● Tentative budget.
○ Short onepage CV of the proposed team member(s)
○ List any previous projects that demonstrate your relevant skills and
experience (500 words)
● Tentative budgets should include projected expenses per budget category (as per
IDRC eligible expenses ) including: personnel, consultants, evaluation, equipment,
international travel, research expenses (include funds provided to any third party
organizations), indirect project costs, financial contribution by other donors, estimated local contribution to project and other supporting funds and in kind contributions such
as salaries of regular staff, equipment, infrastructure and overhead costs.
● Applications must be submitted by no later than 15 August, 23:59 EDT.
● Applications must be submitted in English
● Applications received after the deadline will not be considered
Proposals should be submitted by email to [email protected] . As host of the OD4D
program, IDRC will be responsible for managing the grant to the host of the Africa Open Data Network.
For More Information: