Application Deadline: June 30th 2017
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) funds small but visible, high impact, results-oriented projects which are proposed and implemented by local NGOs and other grassroots organizations. CFLI is a responsive, flexible program. For close to three decades, Canada has funded small grants in developing countries through the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI). Over the years, the CFLI has provided significant assistance to people in developing countries similar to Morocco and Mauritania. This enables Canada to respond to local needs by working at the community level. Equally important, the CFLI serves to strengthen Canada’s relationships with civil society and local communities and to build networks of contacts in countries around the world.
The Canadian Embassy in RABAT manages the CFLI in the following countries: Morocco and Mauritania
What Types of Projects Will CFLI Fund?
Projects must address the identified needs of local communities in one of the following countries: Morocco, Mauritania
Projects must fall within one of the 2017-2018 CFLI priorities:
- Empowering women and girls and promoting gender equality;
- Championing human rights, inclusive and accountable governance, democracy, peaceful
- pluralism, and respect for diversity;
- Supporting inclusive and green economic growth;
- Promoting peace and security;
Emphasis will be placed on innovative, accountable and sustainable projects, as well as those that engage youth. Initiatives aimed at producing concrete results will be prioritized over sensitization workshops and training sessions with limited audiences.
Projects supported by the CFLI must consider gender equality and respect for the environment.
The Canada Fund only provides contributions for project related expenses covered by a contribution agreement. The Canada Fund does not cover over-head costs such as those related to the administration of an organization, ongoing or recurring projects, large-scale construction, or general budgetary needs.
The majority of the funded projects will receive between CAD $10,000 to $20,000.
Term of Projects
All projects must be completed between the date of signature of the Contribution Agreement and 28 February 2018.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
- local non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations
- local academic institutions working on local projects;
- international, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional institutions, organizations and agencies working on local development activities;
- municipal, regional or national government institutions or agencies of the recipient country working on local projects; and
- Canadian non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations that are working on local development activities.
Process to Submit a Proposal
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the CFLI application form and budget template. In your email please state: which CFLI priority your project will address; the country where the project will take place; the approximate budget; and the date the project will be completed.
- Complete the CFLI application form and budget template and submit them electronically to the same e-mail addresses. Use subject line: CFLI proposal – COUNTRY – ORGANIZATON NAME
- Each organization is limited to the submission of one proposal. Only those proposals using the CFLI application forms will be considered.
- Proposals must be completed in English or French.
- Applications will be assessed for approval on their merits by a Selection Committee. Final selection of projects will be made by the Head of Mission.
- Deadline for application is Friday, June 30 2017
For More Information: