Application Deadline:29 March, 2020, at 11.59pm EST.
Coda Story’s inaugural Bruno Fellowship is a nine-month reporting grant opportunity for an early to mid-career journalist. The Fellowship will fund one ambitious investigative project culminating in a single story or series of impactful stories, unearthing information that powerful forces do not want to see the light of day.
This $16,000 grant covers compensation and travel expenses for a period of six months’ reporting and two-three months for the story to go through the editing process. Throughout the fellowship, the reporter will benefit from mentorship, guidance and editorial support from Coda’s editors.
The reporter can be based anywhere in the world, and we invite pitches from everywhere.
The Fellowship is an opportunity designed to allow early-career international journalists the time, funding and space to report deeply on the stories that matter.
While there is no age limit, the fellowship is intended for applicants in the early to mid stage of their career, with at least 5 years’ reporting experience. We strongly encourage applications from people of all genders, races, national origins, and groups that are under-represented in journalism. Applicants must have excellent written and spoken English and have a track record of writing reported pieces in English.
To apply for the fellowship, please fill in this Google Form, which will ask you to submit:
- A detailed 1-page pitch, up to 600 words, outlining access, why your story matters, why it’s a Coda story and which of our beats (authoritarian tech, disinformation, the war on science) it fits, potential characters, how and where it has been previously covered (and how you’re moving it on) and why you’re the right person to execute it.
- A max 1-page reporting plan and skeleton timeline of how you’ll execute the story, outlining any travel you intend to do
- A rough budget for any travel, reporting and research expenses
- A 1-page resume
- A brief (max 1-page) cover letter indicating why the fellowship is right for you
- Up to three of your best published clips
All files should be uploaded to the Google Form in .pdf format, at no more than 5MB each, with the naming convention LASTNAME_Documentname.
Please note we prefer you to submit using Google Forms, here. However, if you do not have a Google account, you may email your files to [email protected] using the subject line BrunoFellow_Lastname.
The deadline to submit is Sunday, 29 March, 2020, at 11.59pm EST.
Interviews with finalists will be held in mid-April, and the fellowship will begin in May/June 2020.
For More Information: