Application Deadline: September 14th 2020
The DAAD climapAfrica program in cooperation with the climate competence centers SASSCAL and WASCAL aims to foster application- oriented research results to tackle climate change in southern and western Africa.
The program funds postdoctoral research projects and offers a platform for collaboration in thematic working groups composed of postdoctoral fellows and African alumni of German funding initiatives with expertise in the field of climate research.
Fellows and Alumni experts will increase their research impact and output through a comprehensive training and support program, including general skills training, science policy advising and science management. The working groups serve as a platform to connect with peers, regional and international experts and practitioners and to build a growing professional network across Africa.
- Applicants must be nationals of an African Country.
- Should be willing to contribute to the initiation and the coordination of alumni working groups.
- Should be willing to realize their project at a host institution in western or southern Africa.
Postdoctoral research project in one of the following research areas:
Agriculture, (Adapted) Land Use, Climate science, Law, Economic and social science, Mathematics/Natural science, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Biodiversity, Food security, Marine Science, Human Security, Education, Energy, Informatics, Water security and water resources, Woodland and forest sustainability.
Duration of the funding
The fellowship awards are tenable for a period of 12 to 24 months.
This fellowship period begins in February 2021. Please take this date as your starting date for your application.
The basic fellowship consists of:
- A flat-rate travel allowance to your target country and back
- A research lump sum of max. EUR 10,000
- A monthly allowance of EUR 800
- An accident, personal liability and health insurance
Additionally, support for the following activities can be granted (subject to availability of funds):
- Short-term research stays in Germany (2 to 6 months)
- Mobility fellowships for the active participation (poster or talk) in relevant international conferences in the field of climate change/ climate Research
Applications will be reviewed by an independent selection committee consisting of experts in the relevant fields.
The performance-based assessment will consider:
- The evaluation of the proposal. Particular emphasis will be placed on the quality of the research plan. It should detail the preliminary work undertaken and the relevance of the topic for research and explain why the chosen institutions are especially suitable for the realization of the planned project. The strategy for the investigation of the scientific problem should be readily understandable and the choice of methods and work equipment be adequately established. The achievements of the applicant to date (scientific and other qualifications, and particular conditions which have influenced the academic progress)
- The quality of the proposed project and its consistency with further scientific qualification and long-term career planning.
- The relevance of the research topic for the understanding of climate change, its impacts in Africa and for the development of countermeasures.
- The fit of the facilities and the support offered by the host institution and the requirements of the research project.
- The coherence of the applicant’s ideas to start an alumni working group and to accompany it’s activities.
For More Information: