Application Deadline: 24 February 2017.
Each year, the Earth Skills Network (ESN) provides funded training in:
- business planning and effective management practices and,
- personal development of leadership capabilities, with
- 12 months of mentoring from an ESN corporate member with significant business experience.
- The programme is open to all permanent staff from protected areas, World Heritage sites, protected area agencies and management authorities in Africa.
- For each selected site, three staff from the site must be available to participate in the full programme.
- Selected participants must be fluent in English.
About your organisation
- Permanent Staff from Natural Protected Areas, Protected Area Agencies or Management Authorities in Africa.
- Site can be marine or terrestrial.
- The site must have an IUCN Protected Area classification, be a UNESCO World Heritage site, be working towards WHS status or an agency working across a number of sites.
- The site must have clear (gazetted) boundaries.
- Management Authority and Approvals Authority must be known.
- All governance types are eligible for the programme.
- Depending on governance type, the site must have the relevant senior management approvals to participate in the programme.
About the participants:
- Three employees from the site must be available to participate in the full programme on the same team.
- All three employees must have support and sign off from Protected Area senior management.
- Employees must be fluent in English, as English is the main training language and application materials must be completed in English.
- No business planning knowledge required but employees must be in a position to benefit from the training e.g. in a job role and at a level of seniority that allows for involvement in management or business planning.
- If your site has been on the programme before, you are welcome to apply again but please nominate employees who have not already participated.
Residential Training Programme
Where: Lajuma Research Centre, South Africa
When: Training 1: 3 – 12 November 2017
Training 2: 14 – 23 November 2017
What: The Residential Training Programme takes place over ten days and combines business and personal skills development. Business Mentors will work with a team of representatives from your site to cover the various elements of business planning using the Business Planning Toolkit.
- All costs are covered by the organizers.
- Travel between your home base and South Africa for the ten day Residential Training Programme (direct flight, economy class).
- Nine night’s accommodation at the residential field programme in Lajuma Research Centre, South Africa
- Meals and drinks for the duration of your stay.
- Comprehensive medical evacuation insurance for the duration of the ten day Residential Training Programme.
- All facilitation costs and training materials in the field.
What’s Not Included?
- Staff salaries – it is fully expected that the staff members attending this training will continue to have their salary fully funded by your organisation.
- Any miscellaneous expenses (e.g. visa fees, airport transfers, clothing, any other equipment).
- Interested participants can access information on the Earthwatch website and download the application pack.
- The complete application form should be returned by 24 February 2017 via email to: [email protected]
For More Information: