Application Deadline: February 16 2015
The Finnish Government offers scholarships of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities or public research institutes. The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. The scholarship cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
In order to be an eligible applicant for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student.
Who can apply?
The scholarships are based mainly on cultural agreements or similar arrangements between Finland and the following countries:
- Republic of Korea
The scholarship includes:
- a monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by CIMO. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions‘)
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
- have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
- intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme can be applied for a study/research period of 3-9 months, 9 months being the maximum time for an individual applicant.
How and when to apply
- Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country.
- The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool.
For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.