Application Deadline: Friday, 2 September 2016
The Fund for Internet Research and Development – FIRE Africa – is one of Africa’s leading Grants and Awards programmes designed to encourage, support and develop innovative online solutions to Africa’s education, information, infrastructure and communication needs.
The FIRE Africa Awards seek to acknowledge innovative initiatives in Africa that have made concrete contributions through the use of information and communications technologies and have had a proven impact on the region’s social and economic development.
Winning initiatives must meet three main requirements. All project proposals must have a technological component through which they seek to solve development issues. Proposed solutions must be innovative, i.e., they must present new strategies, notions, ideas, methods and processes that respond to social needs and can broaden and strengthen communities. Finally, successful initiatives must have a proven impact, i.e., they must submit indicators and evidence that support the creation of value for the target communities.
The funding categories for 2016 Awards are:
- Technical innovation for Internet access and development
- Internet and technologies for social inclusion, strengthening democracy and the exercise of rights and freedoms.
- Internet and technology for social and economic development.
- Three winners will be selected through this 2016 call for projects. The FIRE Africa Awards will be presented to ongoing initiatives or completed projects that submit concrete evidence of their impact. This means that projects pending execution or which are about to begin will not be accepted.
- The FIRE Award consists of a USD 3,000 cash prize plus full travel and accommodation for one representative of each project to attend the awards ceremony, and participate in sessions which will be held in Mexico during the 2016 Internet Governance Forum.
- Call for project proposals opens: Friday, 5 August 2016
- Final deadline for submitting project proposals: Friday, 2 September 2016
- Selection process: 3rd September – 30th September 2016
- Announcement of successful projects: 15 October 2016
- Contract signing: 24th – 28th October 2016
For More Information: