Re-applications close on 17 November 2017;
New applications close on 12 January 2018.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme to promote teaching as a profession. Bursaries are available to enable eligible students to complete a teaching qualification in an area of national priority. Recipients of these bursaries will be required to teach at a public school for the same number of years that they received the bursary.
Recipients of the bursary must apply on-line for the bursary in every year. The recipient must also complete the placement information as required in every year. The provincial education department (PED) will place a graduate bursar in a suitable teaching post. If a particular PED does not have a suitable teaching post for the graduate bursar, the applicant may be placed in a PED that does have a suitable post. Please note that bursars cannot choose the school in which they would like to be placed and placement cannot be deferred for any reason.
- 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specialising in Foundation Phase (Grade R–3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4–6), Senior Phase (Grade 7–9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12).
- One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates whose degrees include at least one major in one of the two priority subjects.
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number;
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability;
- Funza Lushaka bursaries cover most of the recipient’s essential expenses. Expenses may covered include tuition, accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
- The allocation to any individual student is capped at a specific value. Where the university charges more than the capped value the bursars will have to top up from own funds. Universities have different cost structures, so the total value of a bursary differs from institution to institution.
- Applications must only be made once students have been allocated a valid student number and have been accepted/provisionally accepted at their university of choice.
- All applications must be made online at www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za.
- Take note of the closing date. No applications will be entertained after the closing date. Students must apply online and submit supporting documentation to the university
For More Information: