Application Deadline: October 15th 2022
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowship Programme is targeted at university graduates from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa and the USA who have an international outlook and initial leadership experience. It addresses prospective decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders from a broad range of professional fields such as politics, public administration and business as well as society and culture.
programme is intended to give them the opportunity to spend a year in Germany exploring new solutions to the global issues of our times and widening their networks. With this programme, Germany once again presents itself as a destination of choice for intercultural dialogue and as a meeting place for the international leaders of tomorrow.
During their stay in Germany, the German Chancellor Fellows pursue self-developed, research-based projects that are societally relevant and have the potential for long-term, publicly visible impact. They are supervised by hosts in Germany whom they select themselves and who have the necessary level of expertise to mentor the respective topics. Their projects enable the fellows to advance their careers by expanding their specialist knowledge, gaining new international experience and strengthening their intercultural skills in Germany in order to develop into successful international leaders.
The fellowship programme is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. Up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships are awarded each year – up to ten per country.
– citizenship of Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa or the USA, including predominantly living and working in one of these countries;
– Bachelor’s or comparable academic degree completed no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October of the year in which the selection is made;
initial proven leadership experience. Applicants with a predominantly academic background should have acquired initial leadership experience in addition to their own research activity;
– English and/or German language skills;
– a letter of motivation;
– a project plan; candidates must independently draw up a project plan for a twelve-month stay in Germany and agree this plan with their intended host before applying;
– a detailed statement, including a confirmation of research facilities and mentoring agreement, from a host in Germany;
– two references by individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal and/or academic background.
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. We will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 euros, 2,470 euros or 2,770 euros – depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship,
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
How to Apply:
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are
- project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
For More Information: