Application Deadline: September 19th 2021
The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) is one of the leading research institutes on development policy. Through excellent research, policy advice and training, the Institute contributes to finding solutions to global challenges.
DIE Research Programme “Inter- and Transnational Cooperation” is looking to recruit a
Salary from € 51.000 p.a. up to € 74.000 p.a.
(German public sector tariff up to EG 13 depending on qualifications)
Position No. 2021-A01-02
Subject to final approval of funds, the positions may be filled as of 1 December 2021 and are currently limited until 31 December 2022 with a possible option of contract extension.
You will be part of a new research project on “Megatrends Africa: Consequences and Policy Options for German and International Cooperation” that DIE is conducting in cooperation with the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP) and the Kiel Institut für Weltwirtschaft (IfW Kiel). The project aims at conducting academic research and providing policy advice for German and international policymakers on relevant contemporary political, socioeconomic and societal developments in Africa and Africa’s international relations. The project analyzes the impact of relevant regional and global megatrends such as climate change, digitalization, urbanization or demographic transition on politics, the economy and society in Africa and interdependences with developments in Europe. The project contains several working packages. One working package will deal with the impact of the megatrends on democratization and autocratization processes in Africa. A second working package will deal with China and other external actors’ influence in Africa.
The full-time/part-time research position is cross-sectoral and will be contributing to both working packages and more broadly to the project as a whole. The position will be situated at the intersection of research and policy advice.
Qualifications and requirements:
- a Master and preferably a PhD degree with excellent grades in one of the following areas: social sciences, including economics, political science, sociology or related fields;
- profound academic expertise and knowledge in at least one of the following areas: democratization and autocratization processes in Africa; China or other external actors’ political engagement in Africa; the relevance of one or several megatrends for African politics or Africa’s international relations;
- proven knowledge in and experience with quantitative or qualitative research methodologies in social sciences;
- experience in providing policy advice;
- research or work experience in African countries is an asset;
- willingness to work in an interdisciplinary, globally dispersed team;
- proven organizational and communication skills;
- fluent written and spoken English, fluent command of German is an asset;
- fluent command of other languages is an asset;
- willingness and aptness to travel abroad, including countries with a tropical climate („Tropentauglichkeit“).
- Flexible working hours with a weekly working time up to 39 hours
- Possibility to use a job ticket and a good connection to public transport;
- Trainings for further professional development;
- Company pension scheme with the VBLU;
- A modern and interesting workplace with a good working atmosphere.
- The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) offers an inspiring, family-friendly working environment at the interface of research and policy advice, with ample opportunities to engage in international discussions, political processes and scientific debates.
In the case of equal qualification, physically challenged persons will be given preference. We want to promote the diversity of our employees and would like applications from women, men and diverse people.
For further questions, please contact Dr. Benedikt Erforth.
Applications with the position number 2021-A01-02 with detailed documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, and relevant certificates) must be submitted exclusively via application portal by 19 September 2021. The expected date for interviews is the first week of Oktober.
For More Information: