Application Deadline: September 2, 2022
The American Academy in Rome invites applications for Getty Global Affiliated Fellowships awarded to art and architecture historians and archeologists who are citizens or residents of Turkey, Egypt, North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya), or the Eastern Mediterranean (Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan) whose research project is devoted to the study of the broader Mediterranean, incorporating the above regions and countries. Preference will be given to projects that can be carried out in Rome or that would benefit from time in Rome. The fellowship program seeks to attract a diverse pool of qualified candidates, including those from regions where art history or archaeology is an emerging discipline, as well as candidates who have historically been underrepresented or marginalized.
AAR will provide time and space to live and work as part of a multidisciplinary residential community in Rome. AAR aims to broaden our understanding of art history and archaeology in the Mediterranean basin as it relates to Turkey, Egypt, North Africa, and the Eastern Mediterranean. In particular, this fellowship seeks candidates who are examining previously overlooked artists, movements, communities/peoples, or periods, and whose projects would benefit from the archives, collections, artworks, or artifacts located in Rome or Italy.
- The fellowship is intended for early and midcareer scholars. Both predoctoral and postdoctoral scholars are welcome to apply.
- All applicants must possess an excellent command of written and spoken English, which will be confirmed during the interview stage of the selection process.
- Getty Global Affiliated Fellows are in residence at the American Academy in Rome. All fellowships include a single room, board, and a stipend. Two fellowships will be awarded.
- Fellows will live and work at the Academy from February to July 2023 and will be invited to return for a second six-month stay from February to July 2024, if possible.
How to Apply:
- The application process will open on July 1, 2022. The deadline for completed applications is Friday, September 2, 2022, at 11:59pm Eastern Time.
- All applicants for the Getty Global Affiliated Fellowship will be considered without attention to race, ethnicity, religious belief, caste, class, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
- The Academy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment where the needs of fellows are met in a free and nurturing environment, as well as to honoring dietary restrictions and religious commitments.
For More Information: