Application Deadline: September 30th 2015
Government of Sri Lanka Presidential Scholarships programme for Foreign Students implemented by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research has been in operation for four years. That provides scholarships annually to foreign students from identified countries. It is hoped that this would bring about stronger educational and cultural ties with friendly nations.
This scholarship scheme offers international students a chance to enroll themselves in
undergraduate programs conducted by some state universities in Sri Lanka.
Applications are invited from eligible students for the award of undergraduate scholarships
offered by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MoHER), Sri Lanka for the academic year 2014/15 and the courses are to commence in January 2016.
- Scholarships are open for courses of studies other than Medical & Dental Sciences
- Medium of instruction is English
- Candidates can request for more than one course for securing chances to win a scholarship,identifying their preferences as places are limited in some fields
- There may be instances where requested courses are not possible to offer due to unforeseen circumstances or limited places available in the particular field.
- If the given qualifications by the applicant are not compatible with the entry requirements of the university, those applications may not be successful
- Be a citizen of a country covered by this scholarship.
- A citizen of another country having Sri Lankan dual citizenship is not eligible to apply.
- Candidates with impressive results of an examination deemed equivalent to G.C.E. (Advance Level) Examination of Sri Lanka are eligible to apply for admission to universities in Sri Lanka.
- Applicants are advised to attach the original letter obtained from the Board of Examinations to prove that his/her educational qualifications are equivalent to the G.C.E. (A/L) Examination (Sri Lanka) or qualifications required for admission to a university in their own country to follow a bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants should ensure that all required passes should be obtained in one and the same sitting under a recognized Board of Examination
- Age : Be less than 25 years on 30.09.2015
- Free of charge tuition and registration.
- Free Visa for studies
- One-off settlement allowance of LKR 10,000/-.
- A monthly living allowance of LKR 30, 000/-during the study period.
- It is expected that the scholarship recipient will meet the expenditure for food and accommodation with the monthly allowance of LKR 30,000/-
- The relevant university/higher educational institute will assist in finding suitable accommodation
- Reimbursement of cost of air fare (economy class) to come to Sri Lanka and return his/her country after successful completion of studies [Payment is made for original bills only]
- Reimbursement of IELTS/TOEFL examination fees (test results must not be more than 24 months old at the time the application closing date)
Free of charge medical facilities at government hospitals other than dental related diseases.
How to Apply:
- Each applicant should submit duly perfected 3 sets (one original) of applications along with all required documents to his/her government nominating agency.
- Each application should be recommended by the government nominating agency by filling out the section 06 B of the application.
- The government nominating agency of the applicant shall submit the applications with their recommendation to the Sri Lankan mission in his/her country for forwarding the same to the MoHER, Sri Lanka.
- In case a Sri Lankan mission is not present in his /her country, the government nominating agency can forward the applications directly to the MoHER, Sri Lanka
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Certified copies of the academic transcripts of G.C.E A/L and G.C.E O/L or their equivalents.
- Original letter obtained from the Board of Examinations
- Certified copy of IELTS/TOEFL certificat
- Certified copy of the data page of applicant’s passport. The validity of the passport shall remain at least for 1 year after arrival to Sri Lanka
- Medical Certificate
- Police Report
Note : Certified English translation must be provided for all the documents that are not in English.
How to Apply:
Applications with the recommendation of the government nominating agency should
be received to the address given below by 30.09.2015
Ministry of Higher Education and Research
No : 18, Ward Place Colombo 07
Applications received from other means and the late applications will not be considered.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Government of Sri-Lanka Scholarship Program for Foreign Students 2014/2015