I Care 4 Africa aims to catalyze an innovative healthcare system in Africa through innovation and entrepreneurship.
With the support of Merck and Facebook, Hack for Big Choices will start I Care 4 Africa, a 10 month program starting in March, 2016. The program is designed to empower entrepreneurs and medical professionals to use their first hand experience and talents to match business opportunities in the healthcare space. There will be a major healthcare hackathon in June 24-26th 2016 to launch new businesses, followed by an accelerator program.
- 61.7% of deaths in Africa are mostly preventable (infectious disease, maternal, neonatal, and nutrition conditions) By contrast, these conditions account for only 23% of deaths worldwide
- 70% of all people living with HIV are in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Only 50% of people have access to modern health facilities.
- Africa carries the burden of 25% of global disease yet makes up only 2% of the global physician workforce.
- Westernized lifestyle and increased life expectancy in Africa is causing an increase of chronic diseases (cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and diabetes) that by 2030 will account for 42% of all deaths in the region.
- Merck will not only be sponsoring the program and sharing their expertise but they will also strategically help new businesses to extend their market reach.
- Facebook will be supporting the program by providing winners with FbStart packages, a global program from Facebook designed to help early stage mobile startups to build and grow their apps.
- Together with some great partners, Facebook is offering up to $30,000 in free tools and services designed to help build and grow mobile apps.
- Facebook will also provide year round mentorship opportunities to connect directly with the Facebook team as well as an exclusive community of global startups.
For More Information: