Application Deadline: June 1st 2018
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers
people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable
development and economic opportunity. IDLO contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
THE LEGAL INTERNSHIP
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is a dynamic generalist legal practice with the overarching aim to advance and protect the legal interests of IDLO, while mitigating risk, fostering accountability, and helping to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Organization and its governing bodies. OGC is responsible for providing legal advice to the Director-General of IDLO, the Senior Leadership Team, the IDLO Governance bodies, and IDLO employees at its Rome headquarters as well as its branch and field offices. OGC provides advice on matters including the negotiation and conclusion of headquarters agreements, privileges and immunities, contracts, grants, and other agreements.
OGC oversees local counsel in more than a dozen field locations and provides guidance on HR matters and disputes, including the negotiation, settlement, arbitration, and litigation of disputes. OGC also drafts, reviews, implements, and promotes adherence to IDLO policies, regulations, rules, and practices as well as the revision, implementation of and adherence to IDLO’s governance documents.
Under the direct supervision of the General Counsel and OGC lawyers, the legal
intern will be asked to support the Office with the following duties:
• Provide research assistance on questions of domestic and international law including
interpretation of IDLO’s Privileges and Immunities, Human Resources matters, Internal
Governance and other areas relating to the functions, structure, and activities of IDLO;
• Assist in drafting or revising organizational governance documents, reports, regulations, policies and procedures;
• Assist in drafting, reviewing, and/or amending contracts for goods and services, Memoranda of Understanding, and other agreements relating to IDLO programs and activities
Assist in the interpretation and application of IDLO’s staff rules and regulations, the Code
of Conduct, and other IDLO regulations, policies, and procedures;
• Assist in monitoring compliance with IDLO’s regulations, policies, and procedures,
• Fulfil any administrative and/or substantive requirements of the intern’s educational
institution and/or fellowship program;
• Perform any other similar duties as assigned by the supervisor.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
• Graduate or under graduate level degree in law or current enrollment in graduate level legal
• Experience working in a legal capacity in an organization or law firm is highly desirable.
• Experience working in an international environment is highly desirable.
• Experience with and/or understanding of international law, contract law, and/or
international organizations is desirable.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Any additional language proficiency, particularly in French or Spanish, would be an advantage.
• Good team player, highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexible
mind, comfortable working in multi-cultural settings;
• Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, including as part of a small team; and
• Ability to produce well drafted and analysed work product in a timely manner, exercise
sound judgment, and manage and prioritize multiple assignments
HOW TO APPLY
- All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website http://www.idlo.org/ENGLISH/EMPLOYMENT/APPLY/Pages/Interns.aspx and submit a resume, cover letter, and list of references. In the cover letter, applicants should clearly indicate the time period (s) for which they are applying.
- Applicants may also, optionally, provide academic transcripts or letters of recommendation
For More Information: