Application Deadline: January 20, 2023
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications for its summer 2023 Science Communication Fellowship. The fellowship starts on 22 May and ends on 1 September. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from IIASA (near Vienna, Austria) and the awardee’s home country at the beginning and end of the fellowship, as well as a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, social media, video, and articles for our magazine, Options. The successful candidate will work in the IIASA Communications and External Relations (CER) department, assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities. The fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) and IIASA scientists, producing several pieces of work covering their research.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, but IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a Member Organization. We encourage applications from developing countries
A monthly salary based on an annual gross salary of EUR 18,800.00, which is exempt from income tax in Austria.
The advertised salary is:
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security.
- The 2023 Science Communication Fellowship runs from 22 May to 1 September 2023, and the selected candidates will be expected to be at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, Austria for the full period.
- IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing. Science communication fellows do not qualify for moving, installation, or other allowances. The cost of travel from the home country to and from the institute will be covered by IIASA.
To apply for this opportunity, you will need to provide the following documents in English:
- Cover Letter outlining your motivation for applying
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation.
Incomplete applications and/or applications containing written samples longer than 800 words will not be considered.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 20 January 2023
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the IIASA Communication Science Fellowship