Application Deadline: January 11th 2019
Since 1977, IIASA’s annual 3-month Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) offers research opportunities to talented young researchers whose interests correspond with IIASA’s ongoing research on issues of global environmental, economic and social change.
To be eligible for the program candidates should meet the following criteria:
- you should have research experience corresponding to a level typical of a researcher about 2 years prior to receiving a PhD or equivalent degree.
- a summer research proposal that clearly fits the interdisciplinary research agenda of a selected IIASA program; before starting your application we recommend to get in touch with representatives of the program(s) of your choice.
- ability to work independently as well as to interact with other scientists;
- fluency in English and the ability to communicate in a scientific environment; and
- applicants from all countries are welcome. However, IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization (NMO)
- applicants must commit to staying for the entire program. Up to five days of leave may be approved by supervisors for participation in conferences and/or for personal reasons.
- candidates already holding a PhD degree by application deadline are asked to consider applying to IIASA’s postdoc program.
- The program is designed for PhD students (ideally about 2 years prior to receiving their PhD) working on a field compatible with ongoing research at IIASA and a wish to explore the policy implications of their work.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, although IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of NMO countries.
- Participants will be working under the direct supervision of an experienced IIASA scientist in a unique interdisciplinary and international research environment.
- They will produce a paper (serving as first step towards a publishable journal article) and will get the opportunity to build up contacts for future collaboration within IIASA’s worldwide network.
- Most of IIASA’s National Member Organizations (NMO) provide grants to enable young scientists (either their own nationals or foreign students studying in their country) to participate in the YSSP.
- All successfully selected applicants will receive notification about funding shortly after the evaluation process.
- Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases
- Advanced Systems Analysis
- Ecosystem Services and Management
- Evolution and Ecology
- Risk and Resilience
- Transitions to New Technologies
- World Population
- Arctic Futures Initiative
- Tropical Futures Initiative
- Water Futures and Solutions Initiative
- Challenges and Opportunities of Economic Integration within European and Eurasian Space
- Integrated Solutions for Water, Energy, and Land (ISWEL)
How to apply?
- Candidates apply via the online application form (find the ‘APPLY NOW’ banner on the right side during the application period).
- Applicants can chose 1-2 programs. If there is additional is interest in one of our flagship projects this can be indicated in the box provided in the application form (under “please justify your choice of programs here”). We strongly encourage contacting the various program representatives and carefully read through all program descriptions before making your decision.
For More Information: