Application Deadline May 15, 2015.
- IOU Respect is a two-week, intensive, cultural exchange program designed to increase the participants’ knowledge of other cultures, help them develop skills for intercultural communication and foster attitudes that promote mutual understanding and tolerance.
- Participants from the six countries will engage in a mix of facilitated dialogue sessions (5+ sessions, 3-4 hours each), team-building project work and group outings and activities.
July 25-August 8, 2015
Hostelling International Paris – Yves Robert
20 Esplanade Nathalie Sarraute
Paris 75018 France
IOU Respect is not just a trip. It’s not a tour or a class. IOU Respect is a journey. It’s a diverse group of individuals from six partner countries, the US, Egypt, France, Germany, Lebanon and Tunisia, coming together to discover their unique cultural differences and appreciate their undeniable similarities.
From sharing meals and exploring the hidden treasures of Paris to engaging in tough conversations about identity and discrimination, IOU Respect breaks down barriers and helps participants build lasting relationships on a foundation of appreciation, respect and understanding.
Who is eligible?
- 18-23 years old
- Fluent in English
- Citizens of the US, Egypt, France, Germany, Lebanon or Tunisia with a current passport at the time of the program
- Employees of HI USA and people who have previously participated in a Hostelling International exchange program are not eligible
Application process for American candidates:
- Complete a written application
- Provide references
- If selected, participate in a phone interview
Applications due: May 15, 2015
Participants notified of phone interviews: May 20, 2015
Participants selected: June 5, 2015
- Each partner country has its own fee structure. For American participants, each person must pay for his/her transportation to/from the host city. This includes a round-trip flight and train/bus/taxi fare to the hosting hostel.
- Once the program begins, all costs are covered by the hosting hostelling association except for snacks, souvenirs, and free-time activities.
- Upon successful completion of the program, American participants will receive a $500 travel stipend from Hostelling International USA.
For More Information: