Application Deadline: Thursday 15th November 2018
Are you working on something that you think could reshape media or journalism in South Africa? Do you have skills you could apply to creating great new media? Do you have the energy and commitment to create something great?
Jamlab is looking for committed and creative journalists and media makers who are passionate about fixing what isn’t working in South African media, who want to create new media to serve new audiences, or bring new conversations or ideas to the public.
JamLab is Africa’s first journalism and media accelerator and innovation lab. The six-month hothouse accelerator programme for journalism and media innovators offers a unique opportunity to fast-track your initiative. It will provide you with the tools, facilities, contacts, and support necessary to realise your ideas and ambitions.
The 2019 programme will run at the new Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct in Braamfontein, Johannesburg from January until June.
Selected teams will receive:
- Free workspace and membership at the Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct co-working space in Braamfontein
- Mentorship and coaching from experienced media, start-up and tech experts and entrepreneurs
- Intensive “Creating the Media” certificate course on media entrepreneurship at Wits
- Access to software development experts
- Opportunities to meet and pitch to potential investors and funders
- A six-month fellowship at Wits Journalism (including access to library and university services)
Six teams took part in our first programme and three of them succeeded in securing additional investment.
How to Apply:
- Complete this short application form to capture your details and confirm your eligibility and ability to participate.
- You will be asked to write a short pitch setting out your idea for a new journalism start-up or describing your existing venture and your ideas for growing and developing it further. Include in this pitch why and how your venture is innovating in the space.
- You will also be asked to provide short resumes of your key team, including a line on each one’s role in the venture.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the JamLab accelerator programme 2019